What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Fuselage Kit Deletion Suggestions

RVFan671

Well Known Member
I am looking at ordering the fuselage it in the next week or so. I've wrapped up the empenage and I am going to keep an eye out for a used set of wings as I move forward with the build.

I did a little searching and found a couple of people who have posted what they've deleted from their fuse kit but wanted to directly hear what some of the benefits are to the rudder pedals, or if it just 'looks' and also the Cee Bailey windows other than their promoted ease of install.

Builder 1: https://rv10builder.com/rv-10-modifications-and-upgrades/
- I don't plan on going the SDS route at least at this point.

Builder 2: https://marksfamilyrv10.wordpress.com/changes-to-orders/

What I'm thinking about dropping at the time of writing this:
- Windows
- Fuel valve
- Heat boxes

note

Just a note about the rudder pedals.

If you decide on the aftermarket pedals, which are REALLY nice, make sure that you can actually get them.

The aftermarket pedals also may cause some issues if you intend on using aftermarket rudder trim systems...

I had planned on changing out the pedals but had issues with ordering and communication. Ended up using the stock pedals. YMMV

Just a note about the rudder pedals.

If you decide on the aftermarket pedals, which are REALLY nice, make sure that you can actually get them.

The aftermarket pedals also may cause some issues if you intend on using aftermarket rudder trim systems...

I had planned on changing out the pedals but had issues with ordering and communication. Ended up using the stock pedals. YMMV

I haven't looked into the trim a lot but thought I was seeing some spring systems, or something like this? https://www.aerosportproducts.com/product/rudder-trim/.

I probably won't go with the rudder pedals unless there is something more than aesthetics. I did fire off an email to the company mentioned in those other builds to determine price and lead time/availability just before submitting this thread.

I went with the standard rudder pedals and have no regrets. Keep in mind that in general any deviations from the plans will add hours to your build time.

I also used the standard Van's windows. While it took some tiee to trim the windshield, I have no regrets in sticking with the standard windows, and am not aware of any strong argument in favor of the Cee Bailey windows.

I do wish however that I had replaced the Van's standard fuel valve with the Andair unit. While the Van's valve works, I had to have a custom extension made to use it with the SportAir center console, and the handle and indicator plate are much nicer as well.

I also used the standard Van's heater valves, but if the SS aftermarket valves seal better (I think they may), then in hindsight I kind of wish I had changed them for the SS units.

But the great thing about experimental is that you can build it the way you want it, so look at the pros & cons and go with what appeals to you. Don't waste too much time overthinking it, just make the decision and keep building. <grin>

Cheers,

I haven't looked into the trim a lot but thought I was seeing some spring systems, or something like this? https://www.aerosportproducts.com/product/rudder-trim/.

I probably won't go with the rudder pedals unless there is something more than aesthetics. I did fire off an email to the company mentioned in those other builds to determine price and lead time/availability just before submitting this thread.

As of now, the rudder spring bias system isn't set up to work with the pedals in question. I think it could be, but would take some modification...

I'm about a month out from ordering my RV-10 fuse as well, and am following along with interest any of the suggestions here too....

Lance

No regrets

I completely agree with post #4 DRMA with emphasis on the part about deviating from the plans adding to build time

The stock rudder pedals work just fine. I did the build with the stock fuel valve but after about 250 hours changed to the Andair. It is practically a drop in replacement. I do not have a center console.

You have to ask the question do you want to build or fly.

The factory center door latch is kinda clunky/ugly.

I suggest you get the unit from PlaneAround. Also, get the wheel pant mounting plate spacers.

https://planearound.com/shop/ols/categories/rv10

I haven't verified with Van's but I've seen other posts where you can't drop the existing door latch parts. Good call out though since I'll need to upgrade, just can't drop the original parts from the order.

The wheel pant mounting spacers should be on the finishing kit I believe. So this will be good to reference when I order the finish kit.

I would highly recommend removal of the fuel selector valve and upgrading to the Andair fuel valve. Even more so if you decide to install a center console from Aerosport or South Florida Aviation. If you do upgrade to an EFI system (EFII or SDS) or just need a fuel return this is a good time to do it.

As others would say, with very few exceptions, that any upgrades is really needed. Plenty of -10's flying with the stock components.

I did elect to go with the phaviation flap motor. Downside is you need to modify the mount point. Upside is you don't need to figure out how to mount a flap position sensor. Plenty of examples of how to do the flap sensor on VAF.

For me this was more of an impulse buy. I realize that has happened more than I care to admit in this build.

As others would say, with very few exceptions, that any upgrades is really needed. Plenty of -10's flying with the stock components.

I did elect to go with the phaviation flap motor. Downside is you need to modify the mount point. Upside is you don't need to figure out how to mount a flap position sensor. Plenty of examples of how to do the flap sensor on VAF.

For me this was more of an impulse buy. I realize that has happened more than I care to admit in this build.

Do you need to buy one or two of the actuators?

I haven't verified with Van's but I've seen other posts where you can't drop the existing door latch parts. Good call out though since I'll need to upgrade, just can't drop the original parts from the order.

The wheel pant mounting spacers should be on the finishing kit I believe. So this will be good to reference when I order the finish kit.

True, you can't remove the safety latch components because they are considered a safety item. So you just have to have them sent and not use them. Can't imagine it would be that much of a cost saving to remove them anyways.

+1 PH Aviation

Definitely get the PH Aviation actuator. It is not difficult to install and it eliminates the POS POS sensor...

Flap Actuator

Anyone have the part name/number(s) for the flap actuator that I should ask them to leave out when I go to order?

Kyle, yep, me too, good old Mark 1 eyeball indicators. Once you get a few hours in the airplane, you don't even have to look out the window anymore.

but, but, but...

...but I like the neat indicators on the EFIS!

...and the PH Aviation actuator is top notch in fit and finish...

The part number for Van's flap actuator is: ES 85615-10 FLAP MOTOR

Looking back at my fuse kit order, they subtracted $350 for the removal of the flap motor which is the same price as the PH Aviation actuator, so you actually save quite a bit of money because the sensor Vans sells is an additional $225.

...and

...and if you want the position indicator, the PHA actuator makes way more sense than trying to install, align, and calibrate for correct travel the POS POS sensor.

Do it, you won't regret it...

Back