What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plastic fuse block on engine side of firewall

Draker

Well Known Member
Would anyone have concerns about mounting a small plastic fuse block, such as this one, on the engine side of the firewall? I'm considering doing this to tidy things up, in place of having inline fuses hanging around off various things (like ammeter shunts, always-hot power wire, etc.). Not sure whether I should expect such a fuse block to melt or fail in the hot engine compartment under normal operation.

Not sure whether I should expect such a fuse block to melt or fail in the hot engine compartment under normal operation.

Email and ask for a product temperature limit.

Max in-cowl air temperature is typically 200~210F ballpark. Many are less. Problem heating is usually radiant...stay well away from exhaust pipes.

Thanks, Dan, yea already did that and am waiting for the reply. Thanks for the ballpark temperature ranges, very helpful.

EDIT: Well that was fast. Mfgr reports 80C max operating temperature so probably no bueno for the hot side of the firewall. Leaving this info up for future searchers.

Last edited:
It might be kind of redneck, but there are tons of cars with fuse blocks on the hot side of the firewall. Might be worth a trip to the junkyard if you could find one that fits your needs...

Back