What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

North Chicago Hangar Leads

jamesrw2002

Hello!! I may be moving up to Chicago from Texas, I am looking for a place to park my RV-4 in the likely event that happens.

Any tips or leads on where to look would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

J

many airports in Chicago. What town are you moving to?

I have a job offer in Wheeling that I am considering, so Northern part of Chicago would be preferable I think. This is very preliminary but will happen quickly should I hit the "go" button. Just trying to get my ducks in a row.

Depends...

Where would you want to live? Are you going to be living more in the Wheeling area or north or west? If north then Waukegan, UGN or Kenosha ENW. If you want lower taxes and will be living in WI there are several options. NW of Wheeling there is Galt airport, 10C, and there is Burlington WI, BUU. Depends on if you like living in the city area or commuting. Many airline pilots I know have made their home in the Lake Geneva WI area, but that could be a longer commute if you are driving down there daily.

And there is the airport in Wheeling, Chicago Executive (Palwaukee). I don't know there hangar availability though. NW of Wheeling there is also Lake-in-the-Hills, near Crystal Lake.

Looks like everything firmed up.. My work airplane is based out of PWK and I checked with Atlantic there - $500 is a little steep for hangar rent, if I can get in to a smaller field with a good community of guys (coming from 52F), that's what I'm going for.

I am single so looking to live in Lincoln Park, I am told that is where the single people are....... I will be up there in a few weeks investigating on the ground.

Thanks everyone for the input! If anyone else has any leads, I'd definitely appreciate it!

-J

Looks like everything firmed up.. My work airplane is based out of PWK and I checked with Atlantic there - $500 is a little steep for hangar rent, if I can get in to a smaller field with a good community of guys (coming from 52F), that's what I'm going for.

I am single so looking to live in Lincoln Park, I am told that is where the single people are....... I will be up there in a few weeks investigating on the ground.

Thanks everyone for the input! If anyone else has any leads, I'd definitely appreciate it!

-J
Cheapest hanger at Dupage is now $460, so that is not really out of line for a "close in" airport. Schaumburg still has two rows of old hangers that go for $260. However, you need to sit on the ramp for about 6 months while on the waiting list to get these. It's a longer wait if you are not a current tennant. The nice hangers are $400-500. Downside is that we have no approaches.

Larry

Back