What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

97FL (Love Field Airport, FL?

boearl

Well Known Member
Patron
Anyone operated in/out of 97FL? I?m curious about the conditions of the turf runways. I?ll be flying the RV-10. While, I operate a RV-12, without wheelpants, on turf occasionally; I?ve not operated the -10 on turf. Would hate to take the shine off of those wheelpants 😕. Many Thanks.

Been a year or two, but the runway was in good shape. But yes, it's grass.

You do have to get used to its funny elevation. Coming in on 36 you go downhill, then uphill.

Finn

you should be fine on the grass. one thought is that the runway is not totally flat. do a recon pass before landing there.

Thanks, Our RV-12 has the wheel fairing removes because we use the grass crosswind runway occasionally.

Wilco on the recon. We use paint protective film on our nosewheel fairing to prevent accidental towbar marring. Works like a champ and hard to detect. That may be an option if we use grass on a regular basis..

Been a couple of years but this is a very nice field.
May have seen Turbo the last time I was there.

Stop in and introduce yourself to Steve Wolf, an amazing craftsman, and always a great guy to talk airplanes with.

We’re house hunting, and the one we were flying in to check out was sold. But hoping to luck at another. Any excuse to fly somewhere new.

Unable to Land there

Called Sam Love yesterday prior my flight from KCOI to KCDK (the number listed to ask for permission) and he said only residents can land there, no one else is allowed :confused:, and informed me about some other grass field options. :(

I would love to land, checkout builders friends... since was not far from my route, but... maybe next time I get permission...

We flew a RV9 off a grass field for years and had many others come to visit including RV10. Grass is mowed fairly short and never had any issues.

Called Sam Love yesterday prior my flight from KCOI to KCDK (the number listed to ask for permission) and he said only residents can land there, no one else is allowed :confused:, and informed me about some other grass field options. :(

I would love to land, checkout builders friends... since was not far from my route, but... maybe next time I get permission...

I?ll need to a ?PPR?. Ha

Like you said a well maintained turf runways shouldn’t be an issue. Thanks

Back