What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 CFI in FL panhandle

ARV8or

Looking to buy an RV-8
RV-8 CFI checkout required for insurance. Does anyone know of a CFI in the FL panhandle between Pensacola and Panama City with RV-8 time, and hopefully with an RV-8 that they might be willing to use (before I purchase)?
I thought I would have been able to find a listing here on VAF that listed all available RV instructors but I wasn't able to find such a resource.

Bruce knows RV-8s

You're in the Florida Panhandle which is about the same distance from Bruce Bohannon as you would be if you were in the Texas Panhandle. Bruce is a bit south of Houston. I'd take the time to fly or drive over to Bruce - if he's half as good as everyone says, worth the trip. Once things open up, I hope to be flying from Europe to get some training from him, as have some others from here.

Bruce Bohannon

I did transition training with Bruce. Was well worth the trip (from Tampa) and specifically recommended since he has an RV-8 with dual controls for you to get checked out in.

He isn?t a regular on VAF but can be reached at:
281 eighty-8 nine eighty seventy-eight
or
[email protected]

Peter

Yes, thanks, I'm aware of Bruce, but I asked about the Fl panhandle. Surely there are instructors besides Bruce who are closer.

, and hopefully with an RV-8 that they might be willing to use (before I purchase)?
I thought I would have been able to find a listing here on VAF that listed all available RV instructors but I wasn't able to find such a resource.

It?s not the lack of cfi?s, it?s the airplane.
1. EAB aircraft cannot be used for compensation or hire. However, the faa is willing to issue a waiver, explicitly for transition training. Just need to find an owner who will fill out the paperwork.
2. Standard insurance won?t cover dual instruction. Insurance covering dual is expensive. You?re either willing to pay (a lot!) to cover insurance, or find an owner who is willing to go uninsured. I know several cfi?s who have the waiver for (1) but have stopped doing transition training in their airplane due to (2).

That is generally true for a CFI giving instruction to others in his aircraft for hire. And I did ask about that, and yes that is more problematic. But I could also get a checkout in an aircraft that I purchase.

According to my insurance broker, many aircraft insurance companies (it definitely varies by company and type aircraft insured) have what's called an "Open Pilot Clause" (or warranty) that covers a pilot not specifically named on the policy if that pilot meets the minimum experience requirements named in the policy and has the owner's (insured) permission to fly his aircraft. Global Aerospace, the underwriter that my broker has found is one of the only underwriters with reasonable rates for Van's aircraft, has such a clause. But they also stipulate the minimum experience for an instructor (CFI) to be used for their required Van's RV checkout, even if not in the insured aircraft, which happens to be the same as their open pilot clause.

It is: Currently effective pilot certificate issued by the FAA, airplane category, with a single engine land rating, who has a minimum of 500 total logged flying hours, including at least 100 hours in aircraft having conventional landing gear, of which not less than 25 hours shall have been in a Van?s conventional gear aircraft.

I'm confused at what you're looking for based on your last reply...

and hopefully with an RV-8 that they might be willing to use (before I purchase)?

this quote makes it seem like you're looking to fly a different -8 than the one you are buying, if so they'll need a waiver from the FAA to charge to rent it and commercial insurance. As has been pointed out this will be difficult to find and Bruce might very well be the closest. I guess theoretically someone could give you use of the plane for free and you'd be legal, but that's probably even harder to find than a plane with the waiver.

Now if you're looking for a CFI to check you out in a -8 you own, it gets much easier. Any CFI can do that no FAA waiver necessary. You'll want to get his hours and contact your broker to make sure the plane is covered but I don't think it should be too much of an issue to find a CFI with enough -8 hours to get Global (and yourself) comfortable. I'm not an expert but I've heard that you don't want to rely on the open pilot clause and it's better to just get the CFI named. I was previously able to get my CFI added to my policy with no additional premium.

Last edited:
what's called an "Open Pilot Clause" (or warranty) that covers a pilot not specifically named on the policy if that pilot meets the minimum experience requirements named in the policy and has the owner's (insured) permission to fly his aircraft

NO one in their right mind should ever fly under an open pilot clause, unless they are ?judgement proof? (no assets). Your broker mis-spoke: the open pilot clause covers YOU should a qualified pilot be flying the airplane. They will pay you for damage to the airplane, they will defend you in a lawsuit. They make no promises to the pilot. In fact, they reserve the right to sue him to get their money back, and usually you are required to help them!

Back