What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which wingtip for archer antenna?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Couple of questions;

Has anyone installed a GMU11 Magnetometer in the same wingtip as an Archer Nav Antenna?

Is there an advantage to putting the Magnetometer in a wingtip at all? Are most people putting it on the same rack as the AHRS now that Van's sells a kit for that?

Thanks!

My avionics supplier recommended mounting the Garmin GMU 11 on the aft deck next to the rudder and horizontal stabilizer. Wiring run is probably shorter/easier than in the wingtip.

I tend to use the right but it mainly depends on ease of installation of the coax.

Walt-

The right wingtip would be easier for sure re. routing coax, but that would logically lead to putting the magnetometer on the left side, which seems inefficient re getting it on the can bus?

Terrye-

Any problems in that location? Seems like there's a lot of steel back there, especially since I'm building a taildragger.

I like the wingtip location for the GMU11 on the taildragger and the rear deck for an A model.
The archer antenna is a couple of strips of aluminum so neglible/no effect.
I have installed both GMU11 and archer in the rt wingtip with no issues.

The answer is, Do you prefer to land slightly left or slightly right of centerline when shooting an ILS? -:)

Your Magnetometer does not care about your receive only nav antenna made of aluminum, it is not magnetic. LH or RH up to you.

I vote for the rear deck under rudder -OR- somewhere behind the aft bag compartment bulkhead. The main issue is get away from steel, in your engine, roll bar... Second or maybe first consideration is maintenance access and ease of wiring.

Last edited:
My Archer antenna is in the left wingtip, or will be when I install it.

Both Dynon ADHRS are one bulkhead behind the baggage compartment bulkhead.

I was worried about the cable running by the roll servo in the right wing, which is why I opted for the left wing for the Archer antenna. I don't know if this will be an issue but no sense in risking it.

Last edited:
Mine is in the left wingtip, or will be when I install it.

I was worried about the cable running by the roll servo in the right wing, which is why I opted for the left wing.

CanBus seems like pure FM to me, but I thought that it would be a good thing to have it in the same wing as the servo for wiring simplicity. Am I wrong?

CanBus seems like pure FM to me, but I thought that it would be a good thing to have it in the same wing as the servo for wiring simplicity. Am I wrong?

The CAN bus had nothing to do with my decision.

For me, installing the two ADHRS was a retrofit from a D100. It was a pain working the fuselage but has worked out well. I installed a Dynon hub next to the pitch servo and plugged everything in there and bought one wire bundle forward. Pretty much the same as installing it in the wing tip.

There are a couple of reasons I didn't install the ADHRS in the wings; I remove my wing tips every year, I didn't want to risk damaging them, and I figured if I get hangar or ramp rash, it would be a wingtip that gets damaged. Better to have those delicate pieces of electronics in the fuselage.

Just my feeling.

Yes, it was a pain installing them after the fact as I had to drill up the floor and then work in the tailcone while sitting in the baggage compartment but now that it is done, I'm very happy with it.

The Archer antenna is being added in the next month or two and not at the same time as the ADHARS so it wasn't a mater of being "easier". I did run conduit down both wings, so it is a simple matter of pulling the cable down the wing.

Last edited:
Put one in each wingtip so you can land centerline........

Ha! But that never happens.

Actually I installed an Archer antenna in both wingtips. My Garmin 650 uses the left wing. And since my SL-30 radio has ILS capability, I have that going to the right wing. May as well. Still doesn't help my landings.... :)

Ha! But that never happens.

Actually I installed an Archer antenna in both wingtips. My Garmin 650 uses the left wing. And since my SL-30 radio has ILS capability, I have that going to the right wing. May as well. Still doesn't help my landings.... :)

Do you notice much difference between the two? Granted, the different receivers probably have a bigger impact than the antennas being separated by the width of your wingspan.

Do you notice much difference between the two? Granted, the different receivers probably have a bigger impact than the antennas being separated by the width of your wingspan.

Bill,
Honestly I don't see much difference in signal strength. But, now that I can shoot LPV RNAV autopilot coupled approaches to 200'... I rarely use the ILS and VOR except for training.

Back