What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Emp Antennas and Static Wicks

AV8ER

Well Known Member
Hello VAF,

After significant deliberation and thought I purchased RV-10 empennage/tailcone kit #41863 from Vans! I took a demo flight in one at SNF and we have a mission that the -10 fits perfectly so took the leap and ordered the emp kit. Quickly after its arrival I found out that decisions need to be made rather quickly as going back will take significant effort later to add or change things. I have been researching antennas and would like to place a VOR antenna in the top of the tail for VOR/LOC/GS as it seems cat whiskers have the best reception and reliability performance. I have seen pictures of others who have done this and would like to know if there is a specific model of antenna that installs the best or performs better than others? Even within the Comant line they vary wildly in price and I cannot seem to find a reason why?

Additionally I was wondering if static wicks are necessary or above and beyond? Thanks

Not what you asked, but I?d say skip the cat whisker. Put in an ?Archer? wingtip antenna. Gain 1/4 knot, keep from poking out your eye.
Most people seem to be skipping static wicks, too.

I put the VOR antenna underneath the tail just ahead of the tie down. Can receive VOR's 90 miles out at altitude, and no issues when intercepting Localizer from left or right.

Vic

I put the VOR antenna underneath the tail just ahead of the tie down. Can receive VOR's 90 miles out at altitude, and no issues when intercepting Localizer from left or right.

Vic

I?ve seen this on a few RV-10 and it just scares me to think of the owner or some kid bending down under the tail and leaving an eyeball on one of these antenna rods.

I know - I?m just a worry wart.

Considering my homemade wingtip VOR antenna picks up VORs at 100+nmi and LOC/IOLS way beyond practical range, I can think of no reason to have any VOR antenna out in the breeze. Overlay that with the other practical aspect of five years of IFR cross country flying in the RV-10 and never using a VOR - other than tuning in the next one down the track ?just in case?.

Carl

I put mine up there. Keeps it out of the way and gets great reception. I know some people put it on the bottom of the tail cone, but I do not like the look of them there. I can't remember the brand I used but the whiskers went into a composite puck about 2-1/2" - 3" diameter and 5/8" thick. I had to trim the top of the VS fairing to fit it in. After installation I faired it in with some micro & flox mix and painted what stuck out after masking off the rods.
39761939561_51ae61cd92_b.jpg
[/url]DSC01478 by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]

I?ve seen this on a few RV-10 and it just scares me to think of the owner or some kid bending down under the tail and leaving an eyeball on one of these antenna rods.

Considering my homemade wingtip VOR antenna picks up VORs at 100+nmi and LOC/IOLS way beyond practical range, I can think of no reason to have any VOR antenna out in the breeze. Overlay that with the other practical aspect of five years of IFR cross country flying in the RV-10 and never using a VOR - other than tuning in the next one down the track ?just in case?.

Carl
I am considering the Archer wing-tip VOR antenna in my -9 Carl. Do you know if LED lighting and strobes give any interference with the Archer since its all in the same space in close proximity to each other?

l

It's a non-issue IMO. I won't say the risk is zero, but it's pretty low.

Vic what brand did u use, any special mods needed to secure? . Thx Pete

As a data point, I have a RAMI AV-12L and I put in a doubler that is tied into the structure -- probably overkill but typical of an early build decision made years prior to first flight.

FP14072008A0000K.jpg

FP14072008A0000I.jpg

Carl

Carl, I have an Archer wingtip VOR antenna planed for installation. DO you know if that will give reasonable performance for GS and ILS or will I need an additional/alternate antenna?

Here is one of a couple of my posts on how I do a wingtip VOR antenna: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=153969

To the question of RF noise from AeroLeds, I did have a problem with the first generation of AeroLeds in my RV-10, but the problem was much more severe with the comm radio (antenna on the belly). Working with Dean at AeroLED I was able to eliminate 95% of the noise via different grounding approaches, but then Dean just sent me the current version of the wingtip Nav/Strobe and the problem was gone.

I do however mount the wingtip VOR antenna toward the middle of the wing rib instead of the forward area just to gain a few inches of spacing with the Nav/Strobe. No RF noise. Performace is as I previously discribed - this $2 or so antenna does everything you need for VOR, LOC and GS reception.

I have not used the Archer Nav antenna but I?ve seen them. If up to me I would mount the antenna on a small piece of 0.063? aluminum to the outboard rib, not the wingtip (that way you can remove the wingtip without removing the antenna, and it solves the grounding problem). I would also lengthen the leg that extends into the wingtip to the maximum extent possible (and shorten the trailing leg the same amount). I would also not do the wire to the NAV/Strobe along the antenna as discussed in the Archer instructions. No matter what however, I would check the antenna tuned to the proper frequency and matched to the feed line (here you need an antenna analyzer as discussed in my other post).

Carl

I have installed a RAMI AV-520 antenna in the top of my Vertical Stabilizer on my RV-10. I haven't got the 10 flying yet so can't comment on how effective the antenna will be, but it was a relatively easy install. With the height of the VS on the RV-10 it shouldn't be an eye hazard to even the tallest basketball player <grin>.

If you would like some photos of my install, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send them to you. I don't have an on-line photo account set up so can't post pics to this website.

Vor

I am kind of thinking toward what Carl said about not ever using the VOR. I would be interested in hearing from anyone that did not even install a VOR antenna. I?m just not sure it even worth the effort or expense of he install.

As a data point, I fly about 800 hours per year for work and even more adding in the GA time. I can?t even remember the last time I used a VOR except for Instructing PP students...and once they have the VOR lessons complete, they don?t use them either. FYI, both work and instructing aircraft have IFR GPS.

I haven?t purchased my avionics yet so this is something I?m kicking around...

I am kind of thinking toward what Carl said about not ever using the VOR. I would be interested in hearing from anyone that did not even install a VOR antenna. I?m just not sure it even worth the effort or expense of he install.

What is your risk tolerance? Some have opted to fly ifr with a single efis and one gps nav radio, nothing more. The FAA says it?s legal, but is it wise? What?s your plan if that one gps box goes kaput, or if the government, a solar flare, or evil person jams the satellites?

Question for Carl: I installed a stock Archer nav antenna. But like you, I moved it aft a bit. Like you, I disregarded Bob?s installation instructions wrt nav/strobe wires. And like you, I am perfectly happy with it. I keep reading complaints. Do you think it?s possible that the original instructions are simply wrong?

VFR or IFR?

The question is are you going to fly VFR or IFR? If VFR only then I'd say forget the VOR antennas and receivers all together. The Future is GPS!!
Like Carl said, you will rarely if ever use it. I have flown my RV-10 for 8 years and 1000+ hours mostly IFR and I can't remember the last time I tuned a VOR. Now an ILS that is another matter but here again I much prefer to do the GPS Rnav approach when it is available. A certified GPS Navigator is required to do that and a Avidyne IFD440/540 if the perfect box to do that. IMO...

I'm with Bob on risk tolerance. I had 2 IFR flights in the past 12 months into areas NOTAM'd for GPS degradation due to military testing. In both cases my GPS never flagged, but no way would I have launched IFR in ether instance without a working VOR/LOC/GS backup (and in my case 2). I like having options. YMMV......

SNIP

Question for Carl: I installed a stock Archer nav antenna. But like you, I moved it aft a bit. Like you, I disregarded Bob?s installation instructions wrt nav/strobe wires. And like you, I am perfectly happy with it. I keep reading complaints. Do you think it?s possible that the original instructions are simply wrong?

I can?t comment on the actual Archer antenna performace or installation instructions - but I know a lot of people are happy with theirs. Considering the vast majority of people using the Archer antenna simply slap it in and go, never checking it with an analyzer, might be the root problem why a few are disappointed in how it works.

I can comment on the Archer comm antenna. Years ago I flew with a homemade wingtip comm antenna in my RV-8A. A buddy in an RV-8 had a Archer wingtip comm antenna. When building mine I made sure I got the maximum vertical distance on the arm that extends out from the rib (this is where almost all the radiated power, send and receive, is located). We did a flight one day talking to Approach (very loose formation). I had full quieting in my comms, but Approach could not hear my buddy and I had to relay for him. While my buddy might have screwed up installation, I suspect if he tuned it with a real analyzer that might have made a big difference.

Side note - I later installed a second radio in this first airplane and used a standard bent whip antenna on the belly. The bent whip antenna always worked better than the wingtip comm antenna, but the comms on the wingtip antenna was still acceptable. For the current RV-8 project I will again use a wingtip comm antenna for Comm #2.

Carl

RIsk tolerance

I will be flying IFR. In the past 7000+ hours flying IFR with two IFR gps units available, I have yet to have ANY issues that would necessitate a VOR. My -10 will have two gps sources and an independent backup. Still leaning towards no VOR...

Side note - I later installed a second radio in this first airplane and used a standard bent whip antenna on the belly. The bent whip antenna always worked better than the wingtip comm antenna, but the comms on the wingtip antenna was still acceptable. For the current RV-8 project I will again use a wingtip comm antenna for Comm #2.

Carl
+1. I have had exactly the same experience. One Archer-clone with the high current leading arm bent down as much as possible; one belly whip. The wingtip is generally not as good, but nowhere near as bad as many of the posts I see here.

I put mine up there. Keeps it out of the way and gets great reception. I know some people put it on the bottom of the tail cone, but I do not like the look of them there. I can't remember the brand I used but the whiskers went into a composite puck about 2-1/2" - 3" diameter and 5/8" thick. I had to trim the top of the VS fairing to fit it in. After installation I faired it in with some micro & flox mix and painted what stuck out after masking off the rods.
39761939561_51ae61cd92_b.jpg
[/url]DSC01478 by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]

David, Did you mount the antenna in the fiberglass fairing vs mounting onto the top aluminum rib of the VS? Also do you have any internal pictures of the mounting?

All - Thanks for the quick responses. Wonderful validation that Vans products have an active and passionate fan base! I do plan to fly IFR as that is part of our cross country mission. Having the ability to listen to a VOR for FSS or Hiwas as well as a backup for approaches that is not dependent on GPS has significant value for me. While it is unlikely for me to use VOR for navigation, the redundancy is something that has merit. We do have small kids so putting the antenna under the tail is probably not a great idea but I am curious about the benefits of putting the antenna down there as it seems many people do this? For those who have done this please weigh in? The Archer wing tip antennas appear to be a nice compromise but I am trying to limit the items that may need "tuning" for optimal performance.

Static Wicks - I'll take it from the few responses that VERY few people install them and even LESS have issues without them?

David, Did you mount the antenna in the fiberglass fairing vs mounting onto the top aluminum rib of the VS? Also do you have any internal pictures of the mounting?

I mounted it to the rib using the two 3/16" holes in the puck. I had to make a spacer under it to bring the bottom part of the puck flush with the aluminum. I did not trim the aluminum of the VS, just the fiberglass cap. I have no detail pics. I am bad about that stuff. If you put it up on top, make sure you get full rudder deflection. I had to push mine up all the way forward to give about 1/4" clearance at full deflection. I have seen other VOR antennas with smaller pucks and with steel antenna rods that actually protrude out about 3" before they bend and sweep back. With a small enough puck, you may be able to mount it further aft completely covered by the fiberglass cap with just a couple small slots for the rods to come through, and still get full rudder travel. I already had my antenna so used what I had.

Since no one else has really answered your question about static wicks yet, I'll just point out that you can find more than a few threads on the subject through the forum's the search function. There are a lot of opinions for and against them so it may or may not help much.

Does anyone have experience with static wicks from TCO Manufacturing? They seem to have acceptable prices for the non-certified units: http://search.skygeek.com/nav/Brand-TCO_Manufacturing

I was thinking about going with the B-4 mounting base + DD1 wicks..

(short research on the internet: Wichita, Kansas-based Aero-Mach Labs (which purchased longtime OEM supplier TCO Manufacturing a few years ago) sells its static discharge products to Textron for the current Cessna and Beechcraft product line, and its discharge wicks are on Eclipse jets.) source: http://www.aviationconsumer.com/issues/47_7/maintenancematters/Airframe-Static-Wicks_6949-1.html

Last edited:
"The DD1 dischargers are identical to the ESD-3 dischargers used in the ground p-static tests except that the mounting base is different."

"..the noise levels of the TCO Manufacturing DDl static-wick dischargers were similar to the results obtained with the Dayton-Granger 16375."

"One obvious comparison to the Dayton-Granger dischargers was that for a given biased-discharger potential the TCO-DD1 dischargers allowed more current flow off the aircraft. One of the reasons for this behavior was attributed
to the lower corona threshold of the TCO-DD1 as compared to the Dayton-Granger."

Source: The Effects of Precipitation Static and Lightning on the Airborne Reception of LORAN?C

Since no one else has really answered your question about static wicks yet, I'll just point out that you can find more than a few threads on the subject through the forum's the search function. There are a lot of opinions for and against them so it may or may not help much.

Thanks Tim, I can now see it is a rather debated topic for/against. I was only looking specific to the RV-10 and had not widened my search. After a broader search I see the many threads on the subject. Many hours of reading, a call to Vans, and a call to Garmin I have decided against the wicks. After speaking with Garmin support they told me they are unaware of problems on airplanes without static wicks. I do plan on installing doublers in the elevator and the ailerons so that in the event I do find myself with a problem I have half of the solution in place to solve it. The rudder already has suitable locations for install without additional doublers.

VOR/GS/LOC Antenna
I ordered a 11-06806 Comant CI-158C-2 VOR LOC GS Antenna BNC, MS35265-48 832 X 7/8 Coarse Fillister MS slotted, and AN931-4-7 Elastic Grommet AN931-4-7 from Aircraft Spruce. Vans will be shipping me 5/8" conduit, nut plates, and plastic standoff part ES-00301. When I get done with the install I will post pictures. It was also brought to my attention that once completed the top of the VS where I intend to mount my antenna "puck" will be exposed to the elements as it has no additional structure above it except the rudder. Not sure what that will look like but it will need to be dealt with.

I'm with Bob on risk tolerance. I had 2 IFR flights in the past 12 months into areas NOTAM'd for GPS degradation due to military testing. In both cases my GPS never flagged, but no way would I have launched IFR in ether instance without a working VOR/LOC/GS backup (and in my case 2). I like having options. YMMV......

Totally agree with Todd. NOTAMS concerning potential GPS inaccuracy due to military ops are surprisingly common. VOR may go away some day, but I'll bet it's going to be awhile. Like many have said, I navigate with GPS pretty much 100% of the time both VFR and IFR. I will always request an RNAV IAP if available, but still occcasionally need that ILS.
I have a cat whisker mounted under the tail as Vic describes. My SL-30 routinely picks up VOR signals 100+ nautical miles out. The 430W, using the same antenna is good for about 75 miles. Mine is a Comant, but I cant tell you which model.

Tim, I am curious what Vans said..

Igor,

I believe it was Eric I spoke with. He said that NONE of the factory aircraft have wicks on them although he did say they are rarely flown in IFR (where static is most likely to occur). He was also unaware of issues on other aircraft without static wicks. I came to the conclusion that if there was a problem it would be known to someone either at Garmin or Vans and neither could report knowledge of issues. Eric is currently building a -10 and does not have wicks installed on his as a side note.

- Tim

Igor,

I believe it was Eric I spoke with. He said that NONE of the factory aircraft have wicks on them although he did say they are rarely flown in IFR (where static is most likely to occur). He was also unaware of issues on other aircraft without static wicks. I came to the conclusion that if there was a problem it would be known to someone either at Garmin or Vans and neither could report knowledge of issues. Eric is currently building a -10 and does not have wicks installed on his as a side note.

- Tim

Tim, thank you. I understand his decision. IFR flying in VFR or marginal VFR conditions does not qualify for wicks installation.
I might find myself circumnavigating storms in summer. The last thing I want is to loose my comm in real IFR. My current decision is to put wicks on the airplane but only half the amount suggested by DG. Maybe the comm would work just fine, but I don't want to find out later in a serious situation ;)

why?

So you are going to put wicks on but only half the number recommended?

You do realize that there is science behind those wicks, right? Why do it half way?

Tim, thank you. I understand his decision. IFR flying in VFR or marginal VFR conditions does not qualify for wicks installation.
I might find myself circumnavigating storms in summer. The last thing I want is to loose my comm in real IFR. My current decision is to put wicks on the airplane but only half the amount suggested by DG. Maybe the comm would work just fine, but I don't want to find out later in a serious situation ;)

Has any RV ever had this problem? I never heard of it - but perhaps you have some data I don?t. If so, I?m sure many would like to know.

I?ve used ADS-B weather when IFR to circumnavigate many thunder bumpers along the East Coast. Never had a problem.

Carl

Has any RV ever had this problem? I never heard of it - but perhaps you have some data I don?t. If so, I?m sure many would like to know.

I?ve used ADS-B weather when IFR to circumnavigate many thunder bumpers along the East Coast. Never had a problem.

Carl

Carl, no I don't. There is no clear answer from the experts, how could I provide one? I only know, P-static builds up and has to exit somewhere. DG makes you purchase 12 wicks; Vans says never had a problem but we do not operate in IMC very often. All of the modern certified IFR planes do have wicks, but this debate could go on for a very long time..

A few years ago, flying out west, I lost a com radio while encountering some 'snow virga' at 10k concurrent with observing some lightening or an electric discharge in my peripheral vision. I am not knowledgeable about static wicks and what they are intended to do or prevent but I've been led to believe they would have prevented this particular incident.

Having said that, that is the only possibly static related problem encountered in 1,000 hours of RV10 flying with a good deal of flying in eastern weather in IFR conditions.

Regarding Antenna: I installed Archer Nav and Comm. I replaced the Comm some years ago because I found that if performed slightly worse than my whip. I am considering replacing the Nav because of ILS reception problems at a single airport/runway. Having said that, I think both the Archer Nav and Comm work just fine for VFR work.

Archer NAV vs clones

I installed an Archer NAV for IFR and have been very satisfied. Not used it a lot, mainly GPS approaches, however, never failed with good distances.

The one thing I know from my research in NAV antenna when I was building that a lot of the so called Archer NAV antenna are "clones", and these where were the majority of problems existed.

Mr Archer used to individually tune each and every antenna he built and as such the difference between his $100 odd and a clone of $10 in parts was chalk and cheese.

So, if looking at either, make sure you are assessing "real" Archer NAV antenna performance and not looking at comments about home made clones. You might be surprised at the results.

I built an RV14A and installed the Archer VOR/ILS antenna in the right wing tip along with an LED landing light, LED strobe, and LED position light and have not had any problems with the ILS (tested the VOR but rarely use since GPS is more useful).

Regarding the Archers
My problem with the Nav has been limited to a single ILS so far. A coupled intercept just doesn?t work in that case and the needles jump around enough to make a hand flown intercept a bit sloppy. I?m sharing the antenna between 2 Nav radios and then a splitter for my number 1 Nav, so that probably doesn?t help. I am adding whiskers for my no. 1 and retaining the Archer for my no.2.

The Comm worked well enough on my no.2 Comm until I lost my whip connected No.1 while flying to the other coast. Faced with a coast to coast flight with a single Comm, I felt compelled to swap antenna before returning home. So I decided to go with 2 whips after that. (Sorry if that?s a repeated story).

So I found my (real) Archer installation not quite up to what I found I wanted. But I still think they are a good solution for many if not most missions.

Has any RV ever had this problem? I never heard of it - but perhaps you have some data I don’t. If so, I’m sure many would like to know.

I’ve used ADS-B weather when IFR to circumnavigate many thunder bumpers along the East Coast. Never had a problem.

Carl

Having flown our RV-10 and previous RV-4 through lots of IFR over the years I have the following personal experiences.

In the RV-4 once while navigating under cumulous clouds around heavy rain, I started feeling the hair on my neck stand up towards the canopy. When moving my arm around the cockpit I noticed the hair on my arm standing strait out toward the canopy. I really don't care to have my muscles artificially stimulated by static electricity so I did not experiment with touching things to find the voltage differential.

Several times again in the RV-4 when flying through snow for a while, had the same experience.

In the RV-10 the only time I thought maybe there was evidence of static electricity, Had been flying in light rain and clouds IFR for about 1.5-2 hrs solid, near the end of the flight I became aware of a noise that had been periodically happening I am guessing every 8-15 minuets. The sound was a snap like you hear when a plastic water bottle collapses when changing altitude. The part that caught my attention was the last time I heard it right near the end of that flight, at the same time of the "snap" from the corner of my peripheral vision I saw what appeared to be a spark jump from the steel bar that connects the dash to the fiberglass cabin top. The spark basically appeared to jump between the bar and the windscreen. I wanted to see it again for confirmation but was on the approach to landing and slowing down.

I did not observe any adverse effects on the navigation or communication radios.

Based on this, I don't think static wicks are necessary at normal RV- speeds.

Last edited:
Static wicks.

Having flown our RV-10 and previous RV-4 through lots of IFR over the years I have the following personal experiences.

In the RV-4 once while navigating under cumulous clouds around heavy rain, I started feeling the hair on my neck stand up towards the canopy. When moving my arm around the cockpit I noticed the hair on my arm standing strait out toward the canopy. I really don't care to have my muscles artificially stimulated by static electricity so I did not experiment with touching things to find the voltage differential.

Several times again in the RV-4 when flying through snow for a while, had the same experience.

In the RV-10 the only time I thought maybe there was evidence of static electricity, Had been flying in light rain and clouds IFR for about 1.5-2 hrs solid, near the end of the flight I became aware of a noise that had been periodically happening I am guessing every 8-15 minuets. The sound was a snap like you hear when a plastic water bottle collapses when changing altitude. The part that caught my attention was the last time I heard it right near the end of that flight, at the same time of the "snap" from the corner of my peripheral vision I saw what appeared to be a spark jump from the steel bar that connects the dash to the fiberglass cabin top. The spark basically appeared to jump between the bar and the windscreen. I wanted to see it again for confirmation but was on the approach to landing and slowing down.

I did not observe any adverse effects on the navigation or communication radios.

Based on this, I don't think static wicks are necessary at normal RV- speeds.

Weasel,
Your last statement seems to be at odds with your description of what happen. Static wicks might have prevented it??

Weasel,
Your last statement seems to be at odds with your description of what happen. Static wicks might have prevented it??

I see no reason to add/carry around additional hardware and equipment to prevent something that has not been proven to be a flight safty issue. Especially given so many rvs flying around and hardly anyone reporting static discharge issues.

Weasel,

I see no reason to add/carry around additional hardware and equipment to prevent something that has not been proven to be a flight safty issue. Especially given so many rvs flying around and hardly anyone reporting static discharge issues.

My single experience with what I think was static caused me to lose a comm radio but I've come to the same somewhat contradictory conclusion (for my personal flying in my personal airplane).

With that said, I think I better understand why they are included on some/many certified aircraft.

I thought in another thread there was some discussion about P-static and how different paints or surface treatments may contribute or eliminate P-static and it's effects.

Talking to a few -10 pilots it sounds like there are some instances where they have had radio issues due to possible p-static, while others have never had any issues. Due to the experimental nature and numerous differences in how we assemble these aircraft, you won't know if you will be impacted until you do some testing.

Personally I was initially thinking of putting in wick mounts (following mouser) however I decided that while that I really wasn't sure they were needed (or if I really wanted to fly a lot of hard IFR). I figured that if needed I could always add those to my system down the road if I found the need.

As to why some certified planes need static wicks, I would guess it's because their testing and analysis showed that with their design, paint, and avionics that there was a need for additional p-static mitigation and the use of static wicks was the best (or quickest) solution.

Finished the VOR antenna and conduit install. I ran conduit for the VOR antenna as well as a second conduit for a forward facing camera I plan on installing in the VS fiberglass tip. The conduit for the VOR antenna must be flat at the top of the mounting point as the antenna "puck" sits flat on top of whatever it is mounted in. The cable and connector will have to slide back down into the conduit once they are installed then the puck will be screwed down onto the top rib.

Also after attending Sun 'N Fun this year again I saw ZERO RVs with static wicks. I did see a bunch with VOR/LOC/GS antennas though both mounted on the bottom of the fuse and the top of the VS.

Completed install:
http://timsrv10.com/build-log/vor-antenna-install-vs-skin-riveting-complete/

Doubler:
http://timsrv10.com/build-log/vor-antenna-install-thanks-help-bryan/

Conduit:
http://timsrv10.com/build-log/vs-skeleton-completion-vor-camera-conduit-install/

Back