What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Pilot + FltPlan.com

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I have been using Garmin Pilot for nearly a year and despite having an account with FltPlan.com, I have not been able to sync up my accounts so I can file flight plans thru FltPlan.com.

I was wondering if there is a trick or something that I am missing in the process. I have sent multiple e-mails to FltPlan.com to give them authorization for filing.

Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

I have been a Pilot user for a very long time and signed up for FltPln.com after all the hullabaloo when Garmin bought them. I still don't get much or have had luck with whatever they are supposed to be doing with each other. I eventually just ignored FltPln.com integration.

I am a long time fltplan.com user and it's what I use to file my flight plans. I am also a Garmin Pilot user and I think it's a mess, especially in re the flight planning process. You have 4 ways to construct a flight plan in Pilot. You can do it in the Map part of the app, you can do it in the Flight Plan part of the app, you can do it in the Trip Planning part of the app (can anyone explain why they have a Flight Plan function AND a Trip Planning function?), you can do it in the FltPlan.com part of the app. Some of these are integrated with each other and some aren't. I'm only a Pilot user because of the Database Concierge function which allows me to upload database changes to my 650. Otherwise, I'd delete Pilot immediately. It's a hot mess from a user interface and design standpoint and their latest 10.0 release was very buggy as evidenced by the recent 10.0.2 release push. I could go on and on...

I've been using fltplan.com & fltplan GO for 5 years and have found them to have one of the most responsive Customer Support groups I've ever seen. If you have questions email them at support at fltplan.com.

I am a long time fltplan.com user and it's what I use to file my flight plans. I am also a Garmin Pilot user and I think it's a mess, especially in re the flight planning process. You have 4 ways to construct a flight plan in Pilot. You can do it in the Map part of the app, you can do it in the Flight Plan part of the app, you can do it in the Trip Planning part of the app (can anyone explain why they have a Flight Plan function AND a Trip Planning function?), you can do it in the FltPlan.com part of the app. Some of these are integrated with each other and some aren't. I'm only a Pilot user because of the Database Concierge function which allows me to upload database changes to my 650. Otherwise, I'd delete Pilot immediately. It's a hot mess from a user interface and design standpoint and their latest 10.0 release was very buggy as evidenced by the recent 10.0.2 release push. I could go on and on...

Mark. Thanks a lot. That actually explains a lot. I can't even get Pilot to give me an airport by looking up by name of town. It's like you have to look up the airport identifiers and have them written down before you can input a flight plan. Circa 1980's RNAV system. And I have ever been confused why there is a flight plan area and a trip planning area. As a result I usually just go direct and switch over to iFly or FlyQ enroute.

"Trip Planning" is just A to B. "Flight Plan" saves your "flight plan" (you gotta specifically "store" it) ie, from home port---say to Sun n Fun via intersection x, via waypoint y, via this, via that, via whatever---you get the idea. You can't do this with "Trip Planning". Your "Trip Planning" "will" show up under "Flight Plan", and "that" is where you add all your extra turns, and then store it. Having said that, under "Trip Planning", just going from home port to K-podunk, these routes just disappear off my tablet. I have complained to Garmin about it, but nothing happens.

G3xpert--ya there??

I know, everyone seems to love ForeFlight over pilot. Why do I stay there? Because they have the so called "dynamic" maps--where one can actually see something. ForeFlight only has "sectional" maps (last time I checked anyhow), try finding a waypoint or intersection on a sectional to say navigate around Chicago's O'hare on your way to Oshkosh.

Last edited:
I let my Foreflight subscription lapse in November to see how I liked it going solo with Pilot. Not happy so I'm thinking about restarting my FF subscription. They just seem to have this figured out better than Garmin

I've been using fltplan.com & fltplan GO for 5 years and have found them to have one of the most responsive Customer Support groups I've ever seen. If you have questions email them at support at fltplan.com.
I have sent around 10 e-mails so far to support at fltplan.com and not once got a response back.
Are you a paid subscriber, maybe they respond to the paid subscriber only but so far, the response has been worth the $ I paid, zilch.

I thought it was just me ... the fltplan.com integration seems to just make everything harder to do ... not very helpful and really buggy :eek:

I let my Foreflight subscription lapse in November to see how I liked it going solo with Pilot. Not happy so I'm thinking about restarting my FF subscription. They just seem to have this figured out better than Garmin
Give FltPlan.com and FltPlanGo a try before you fork out the $$$ for FF. It's free, you have literally nothing to lose.

Back