What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (03-25-2013) Garmin G3X Products and Prices

Hi Garmin Gurus,

In reviewing the manual (Rev H) for the GDL-39R, I see that the Discrete Input (Pin 1) can be used to remotely power the unit on & off. The manual says to ground this pin to power the unit on and remove ground to power it off. It also says to not connect this wire if not using a remote switch...

Isn't 'not connecting' the pin the same as removing ground, and so not allowing the unit to power up?

Thanks!
Russ

Hello Russ,

Once you have applied aircraft power to the GDL 39R, a remote switch connected to this discrete may be used to toggle the unit on/off, but we don't believe there is any benefit to using this discrete input on a GDL 39R.

If you want to be able to turn the unit on/off, we recommend installing a power switch and doing it with this switch. This is what I have done in my aircraft.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. But I'm still a bit confused about how not connecting the pin is different from un-grounding the pin, which turns it off.

Or is it that when the unit senses the pin grounded, it then knows a switch is attached and when it sees it change to ungrounded, it shuts off?

Thanks!
Russ

Engine Monitoring Support

I saw in the specs that engine monitoring is supported for four of the major vendors. I did not see a mention of support for the ULPower 520is (which is FADEC controlled).

Given the recent announcements, I must say that this is the only major stumbling block to adopting the new line.

Any updates or sense on ULPower support?

Can you let us know about the feature differences between the G3x Touch model and the GDU370/375? Obviously there are touch related feature differences but are there other items that were added. I currently have a panel layout with the GDU370/375 and I'm trying to decide if I should rip that up and install the touch screens. Since I have an asymmetrical modular panel layout I don't think the new screen will fit on the co-pilot side. Also I couldn't find the dimensions of the touch unit or a scale photo. Maybe you could point us to that information too.

Last edited:
I saw in the specs that engine monitoring is supported for four of the major vendors. I did not see a mention of support for the ULPower 520is (which is FADEC controlled).

Given the recent announcements, I must say that this is the only major stumbling block to adopting the new line.

Any updates or sense on ULPower support?

Hello BDFLYER,

We downloaded the installation manual for the UL Power 520iS and reviewed the section titled "Instruments" and the list of recommended sensors.

You would want to use our oil pressure, oil temperature, fuel pressure, and manifold pressure sensors to utilize high quality sensors that are compatible with our inputs, but nothing jumps out as being unconventional about the instrumentation needs of this engine.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve. Is this gray wire remote switch discrete input you refer to designed to provide a way to power down the standby battery on the GDL 39? I am remote mounting my GDL 39 with the Garmin backup battery attached in a location not easily accessible after flight to turn off the power switch to save the standby battery. If so, should this switch be a momentary type to mimic the unit's power switch or a standard on/off SPST switch?

Or perhaps as an alternative is there a setting wherein if the GDL knows it's not moving it will power itself down after a few minutes to save the battery?

Thanks,

Jim

Hello Russ,

Once you have applied aircraft power to the GDL 39R, a remote switch connected to this discrete may be used to toggle the unit on/off, but we don't believe there is any benefit to using this discrete input on a GDL 39R.

If you want to be able to turn the unit on/off, we recommend installing a power switch and doing it with this switch. This is what I have done in my aircraft.

Thanks,
Steve

I have this exact setup. No command bars visible.

Hi Matt,
I have the G3X and the Tru Trak GX Pilot and I don't see anything on the PDF when the autopilot is engaged. Has something in the software changed, contrary to your 2013 reply, to see the command bars and control the autopilot from the G3X?

Does this now require the GMC 305/307?

Thanks Jeff

Hello Damon,

Yes, anyone with a G3X system and a TruTrak GX Pilot will now see flight director command bars on the PFD when the autopilot is engaged. For those who want to hand-fly using the flight director without the autopilot being engaged, at the present time that will require the use of the GMC 305 mode control panel which adds a separate "FD" button. In the future we may consider an alternate way to allow hand-flying with the flight director without out requiring a mode controller to be installed. Having said that, the GMC 305 is so nice to use that we hope everybody will want one. :)

- Matt

Back