What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMU22 Mount

gen1313

Hi,
I've been waiting patiently for Vans to release the GMU22 bracket for the left wing ADAHARS position but no ETA at the moment. I'm trying to tick off my "unfinished" list and this is my preferred location for the GMU22.
What have others done? Does anyone have a solution beyond just waiting?

Hi,
I've been waiting patiently for Vans to release the GMU22 bracket for the left wing ADAHARS position but no ETA at the moment. I'm trying to tick off my "unfinished" list and this is my preferred location for the GMU22.
What have others done? Does anyone have a solution beyond just waiting?

Yes, mount it behind the G3X screen, see another post.

Stoney- didn't you install your GMU22 magnetometer on a shelf in the tail? Is that location working out now that you are flying? Have there been any interference problems?

The Garmin installation guide says "In general, wing mounting of the GMU 22 magnetometer is preferred (unless as noted in Appendix A). Fuselage mounting is less desirable because of numerous potential disturbances that interfere with accurate operation." From G3X Installation Manual section 8.4

IMG_4971-e1441235249856.jpg

Magnetometer

Stoney- didn't you install your GMU22 magnetometer on a shelf in the tail? Is that location working out now that you are flying? Have there been any interference problems?

Yes, my bad, I guess the heat at Triple Tree fried my brain. I was thinking of the ADAHRS since that was what was mentioned and yes, my magnetometer is in the baggage area back by the tail on a shelf next to my backup GRT Mini magnetometer. Garmin has that bracket for mounting it in the wing, if that's the location you want to use. I actually bought it and didn't use it. It's called a GMU 44 Universal Mount Kit and I think the part number is: 011-01779-01.

GMU in left wing on ADAHRS shelf

I had the same dilemma of wanting to close up the wing and no ETA on Van's bracket. I talked to tech support and got a picture of the mount they prototyped for Mitch Locke. Assessing the time to make one, I then ordered the universal GMU 22 mounting bracket from Garmin (very pricey for what it is at ~$100) and mounted it with 0 deg adjustment to the ADAHRS bracket already built for the Dynon ADAHRS. This allowed me to use the Van's wiring.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sorry now that I did not take some measurements before I closed up the wings. I have to do it by feel now:)

Back