What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Byonics RTG - adjustments?

n18pf

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what the two pot adjustments are on the Byonics RTG tracker? (see the blue squares at the top of the board)
2qdbep1.jpg

My RTG seems pretty weak. I get very few hits on aprs.fi (no packets at all). I have driven the same routes (using the same antenna) with my Micro-Trak 8000FA and it tracks my whole route. So I'm assuming perhaps the RTG is not transmitting at full power?

I love the 8000FA and it works great, so I bought a RTG to play with in the car. Since I know others have had great luck with the RTG, I assume it is something particular to this unit. So I opened it up and there are two pots that I can adjust. But know knowing what they are, I thought perhaps I should ask before playing with them!! I looked through the documentation and I don't see anything about these. I know the 8000FA has one that adjusts power output and I was hoping one of these did the same thing!

Any ideas?

Does anyone know what the two pot adjustments are on the Byonics RTG tracker? (see the blue squares at the top of the board)

My RTG seems pretty weak. I get very few hits on aprs.fi (no packets at all). I have driven the same routes (using the same antenna) with my Micro-Trak 8000FA and it tracks my whole route. So I'm assuming perhaps the RTG is not transmitting at full power?

I love the 8000FA and it works great, so I bought a RTG to play with in the car. Since I know others have had great luck with the RTG, I assume it is something particular to this unit. So I opened it up and there are two pots that I can adjust. But know knowing what they are, I thought perhaps I should ask before playing with them!! I looked through the documentation and I don't see anything about these. I know the 8000FA has one that adjusts power output and I was hoping one of these did the same thing!

Any ideas?

Paul, you need to contact Allen Lord who builds these trackers:

http://www.byonics.com/contact.php

He is best qualified to answer any questions or provide service for your RTG.

Trimmer controls

The trimmer on the left hand side of the picture is the deviation control. The setting position varies somewhat with the version, but when in doubt, turn it down ( counterclockwise) in VERY small increments. The trimmer on the right is the amplifier bias control. In the newest versions, it should be set fully clockwise for maximum power (as shipped) a few models require the control to be backed off from full rotation (due to other resistors in the design) for maximum power. If you have one of these, your transmitter will just stop transmitting after the first beacon if you set it too high. All RTG's are shipped at full power setting.

Allen
VHS

Thank You

Thanks Allen. It appears the right one was full clockwise less 1/8 turn. The left one was full counter-clockwise plus 1/8 turn.

Now that I know what they are for, I'll have to play with it so see if I can get it to work better.

Also, thanks Sam, I tried that address and got no reply - hence the post on this forum. I thought someone else might be able to give me a clue.

- Paul

Back