What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 tool question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
So, now that I am embarking on the -14, I have a question about tools.

I was told that the holes are such that dimple, then rivet. No drilling.

Will I need deburring and reaming tools?

I do have other tool questions, but I am not sure where to post. I plan to buy in bulk in an attempt to get discounts, so I would like to know if I need some of the recommended Like, the do I need tool list:

FLUTING PLIER
HAND SEAMER
ANGLE DRILL KIT W / 12 DRILLS
3/32" POP RIVET DIMPLER
3/32" VISE GRIP DIMPLER (I will have a pneumatic squeezer)
EDGE ROLLING TOOL
OFFSET SNIPS - LEFT
OFFSET SNIPS - RIGHT
SPEED DEBURRING TOOL
ROYAL MULTI-BURR TOOL
DOUBLE EDGE DEBURRING TOOL
Drive pin punch set 8 pc
Tight space pop rivet tool

Thanks
Ken

You will probably need everything that you listed plus more as you proceed. Tools are a very personal choice. Avery is a great source and consultant as well. You will have to drill and deburr lots of stuff on the wing kit, it has a lot of RV-10 stuff in it, but still a great kit. Good Luck, Larry

I'd recommend starting with one of the RV kits from Avery or Cleveland and expect to use all of it and more. Add a few things as you wish like pneumatc squeezer or Main Squeeze, DRDT2 (can't recommend highly enough), etc.

This is my first kit so I don't have a comparison but its definitely not accurate to say that any of the deburring or drilling activities are not required. Maybe reduced amount.

I am putting together a list of tools. Some from Avery and some from Cleaveland Tools. Essentially I am putting together a huge list then will bulk purchase, which will hopefully get me a discount. The tools I listed were ones I was not sure about. If I have to deburr a lot, then I will get the debur kit from burraway or ez-burr. I essentially got the list from the builders class I went to about a year ago.

I already had my father-in-law weld me up a C frame that I am going to attach a Numatx 3060, which can be used on the C-frame for dimpling then converted to a squeezer.

I also plan to build the rib flange straightner.

Thanks for the input.

Ken

Ken,
You could probably skip the drilling part, but I wouldn't recommend it. The skins on the RV14 are punched to the right size, but the underlying structure is slightly under sized. I dimpled a few holes in the skeleton of the wing without drilling and then looked at the results with a powerful magnifying glass. There were small stress lines, or cracks around the periphery of the dimpled hole. I use a piloted reamer to open up the holes and it leaves very little burr. You can easily remove most of these with a scotch-brite pad. I would recommend a speed deburring tool like Avery sells for general deburring of many holes you'll drill with a regular drill bit. You'll need it in many other places. Good luck with your kit. You've picked a good airplane.

I'm going slow

But so far I have used everything on that list with the exception of the angle drill...and I am still on the spars!

Tools

If you are looking for yokes I have several new longeron for $95.00, 1 1/2 for $75.00, 3 inch for $115.00 and a heavy duty 4 inch for $130.00 plus $6.00 shipping. These are very nice and the quality is much better than what is out there.

If there is anybody interested please email me at [email protected]

Thanks Steve

two more questions:

1. how many 3/32" #40 Cleco Fastners and 1/8" #30 Cleco Fastners do you recommend?

I got the whatever comes in the Avery kit and it's been enough so far. I suspect that as I start the fuse I will need to get a few more. I did get 25 of the short stubby 3/32's just because I expect that they will come in handy being so much shorter.

Back