What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall

jswareiv

Well Known Member
While waiting for the finishing kit, I am trying to get some work done on the firewall without the benefit of the plans for the FWF. I know no one else has them either, but some repeat offenders might have an idea. For all of you smart people out there, can you tell me what is "probably" going on these nutplates? I am guessing the blue circle which is a AN4 is going to be a ground for the battery. All the other red spots are for a AN3. Does it matter how the starter and master are mounted, i.e. does mine look correct? I am going to order the protection diodes and add those. Any help and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

eiwdmv.jpg

Last edited:
I can shed a bit of light.

The rectangular box upper left side: Top hole will mount the MP sensor, if you use Garmin. I believe the second will be used in conjunction with the other for a Skyview or AFS sender. I may be wrong there.

The one in the blue circle is an AN 4. It will connect the negative terminal of the battery to the airframe with a ground strap in FWF kit.

The at the 11 o'clock position from the heater inlet will attach the bracket for the oil cooler. There is one in the same plane next to the sidewall also for the same purpose.

The one a couple inches to the right of the battery box will hold adel clamps to secure the battery cable to the master solenoid and the oil pressure line.

The other two, close to the master and starter solenoids I have no clue. They are both unfilled at this time and my engine install is complete save the exhaust system. Probably meant for items used by systems other than Garmin.

Hello Mitchell
A few pictures of the FWF items installed would be great at this time please.
Thanks Ron

Figuring out how to upload pictures here. Never did that before. Will post them later today.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get them all on one reply. If I can build an airplane, I suppose I can.

13 row cooler for IO-390?

Wow, that's a big oil cooler...13 rows! Is that the one Vans is including in the FWF kit? It looks like the same size used on the RV-10 which seems like it would be overkill for the -14. I used a 9 row cooler in my 180 hp O-360 powered RV-8A with good results. Assuming the IO-390 dissipates the same amount of heat in proportion to its power output it seems like an 11 row cooler would be more than sufficient for 210 hp, but perhaps the 390 is oil cooled to a greater degree than the parallel valve engines? Anyone out there have a 390 in a -7 or -8 who can comment on cooler size and how well it controls temps on hot days?

Thanks,

Wow, that's a big oil cooler...13 rows! Is that the one Vans is including in the FWF kit? It looks like the same size used on the RV-10 which seems like it would be overkill for the -14. I used a 9 row cooler in my 180 hp O-360 powered RV-8A with good results. Assuming the IO-390 dissipates the same amount of heat in proportion to its power output it seems like an 11 row cooler would be more than sufficient for 210 hp, but perhaps the 390 is oil cooled to a greater degree than the parallel valve engines? Anyone out there have a 390 in a -7 or -8 who can comment on cooler size and how well it controls temps on hot days?

Thanks,

Angle valve engines have oil squirters for cooling the bottoms of the pistons. Oil temp control in hot conditions is a totally different dynamic compared to your parallel valve engine.

Firewall Penetrations

Here is everything that is placed on the firewall before any other custom penetrations. Mitch was a big help, if I mislabeled anything, please let me know. Yes, I am a very visual person, I like pictures, and I'm bored.

2ypgcj6.jpg

Battery Box.

Question please - I am working on the rear fuselage battery bracket section and noticed that the battery in this thread is on the firewall. Two options for the battery placement? I am building a taildragger is this the reason ?

Question please - I am working on the rear fuselage battery bracket section and noticed that the battery in this thread is on the firewall. Two options for the battery placement? I am building a taildragger is this the reason ?

No, the battery goes up front. The 14 shares those parts with the 10, which is where the battery goes. Just ignore it.

Battery placement

Thanks Ron, the nutplates K1000-3 weren't in the kit and I was wondering if this was critical. Build on as they say!
Appreciate the response.

Any part that is depicted to be installed, should have been supplied in the kit and accounted for in the bag lists (and you are the first to mention this one so my assumption is other people got the nutplates).

These particular nut plates are specific to an aft mount battery like in the RV-10, but they may be used for other purposes on the RV-14(mounting avionics related equipment, etc.)

Nutplates missing

Any part that is depicted to be installed, should have been supplied in the kit and accounted for in the bag lists (and you are the first to mention this one so my assumption is other people got the nutplates).

These particular nut plates are specific to an aft mount battery like in the RV-10, but they may be used for other purposes on the RV-14(mounting avionics related equipment, etc.)

Scott,

We have questioned it because on page 10-11, it didn't show nutplates on those two holes up by the Bulkhead. So several people, including myself wondered why not and we were told at the time, that part is also shared with the RV-10, and the battery goes there on the RV-10, but it is going up front on the RV-14, so those two holes are not used. I did end up adding nutplates because I mounted my remote transponder there, but to the best of my memory, we were told they would not be used. We could have received nutplates for those two holes, I can't tell you because I always order extra. Thanks.

we were told they would not be used.

That was probably true at the time someone said that.

The thing to keep in mind is that the different avionics kits being developed, are being developed with Van's supporting but the manufacturer/vendor handling the majority of the design decisions Some of them may be choosing to use spare mounting holes for their equipment mounting, etc.

Missing nutplates

Ok thanks Scott just a question though 8 ( might be 6) of the nut plates are -3 with two forward ones -8 and the hole enlarged to #12 drill size.
The very forward ones are not used as described in the plans.
So what's planned here to have us install different nutplates?
I will ask dispatch to pop a couple of K1000-8 plates in the wing kit so not a problem there.
Thanks.

I only looked quick at the drawings so I might have missed something, but on DWG 10-11 I only see 4 holes that would likely be K1000-3.
Two are labeled not used and two are specified to final drill #12.

As mentioned previously, I don't know any details of what the currently unused ones might be used for. I have just heard that they might be used.
It will not be difficult to add the nutplates later if they are needed, so my suggestion would be to just build to the plans and only install the two -3's that are called for at this time.

Back