What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hacking the Micro-Trak

Sam Buchanan

been here awhile
The Micro-Trak 300 works like a charm in N399SB. The customary installation of this little tracker has it hidden in some out-of-the-way corner of the plane and it is very content to hide there and do its thing with no human intervention. Feed it power and data and it just keeps pumping out the beacons.

However, I decided to mod the tracker so I could have it stuffed up under the panel and still be able to monitor the two LEDs that indicate good GPS data and beacon transmission. I'm still on the steep part of the APRS learning curve and would like to be able to verify that the Micro-Trak is happy and well.

Here is the little remote panel I fabbed out of scrap 3/4" aluminum angle:

tracker-8.jpg

It carries a mini SPST switch (power for the tracker, may be eventually replaced with a SPDT so the tracker config can be changed for emergency beacon) and two LEDs, all from the local Radio Snack store.

tracker-9.jpg

The (-) leads of the LEDs are tied together and go to tracker ground.

I considered several options for getting the LED signals out of the tracker. Allen Lord (designer of the Micro-Trak) was concerned that simply paralleling the new LEDs with the ones on the board would result in dim indicators. He suggested "lifting" the downstream ends of the two 1K current-limiting resistors on the board and connecting them to the external LEDs. I attempted de-soldering the resistors and met with little success.

I decided to just cut the traces on the board between the resistors and the LED's. This is minimally invasive since all it would take to restore the onboard LEDs would be jumpers around the trace cuts. The photo below shows how I ran jumpers from the resistor pads to the DB9 so the external LEDs could receive their signals.

tracker-10b.jpg

I also added a ground wire so I wouldn't need to ground the external LEDs to the airframe. The red wire is how I supply ship's power through the DB9. A test rig on the bench proved the new setup works perfectly and the remote indicator panel will be attached to the bottom lip of the instrument panel next to the left side of the cabin.

Obviously if someone is hooking a serial GPS directly to the DB9 these changes won't work! A custom harness would be necessary to go between the GPS connector and the tracker DB9 with the required leads for external power and LEDs.

While in hacking mode, I decided to go ahead and run a lead to the DB9 for triggering an external amplifier. Byonics has a little 8 watt RF amp that I intend to add to the APRS rig and it needs a signal to tell it when to power up. This signal comes off the same trace that powers the red "transmit" LED on the board.

tracker-11.jpg

Fortunately I had one more empty pin on the DB9 so this worked out just fine.

Well......guess the warranty on the Micro-Trak is now shot.....but hey....this is experimental! :)

Last edited:
Cool panel control

Sam,

Most excellent panel control! Although you left out a cool feature of the MT-300- It has a PTT (push-to-talk) input on pin 11, which if you bring to ground and release, will force a transmission-so you need a spst momentary on your panel to have an IDENT button! This feature is not available on the Micro-Trak 8000 FA.

Warranty!?! I spit half a can of coke through my nose!

Allen
VHS

Sam,

Most excellent panel control! Although you left out a cool feature of the MT-300- It has a PTT (push-to-talk) input on pin 11, which if you bring to ground and release, will force a transmission-so you need a spst momentary on your panel to have an IDENT button! This feature is not available on the Micro-Trak 8000 FA.

I need that for my "sky writing project"! :D Gotta be able to beacon precisely at the end of each letter........ :)

Allen
VHS

Oh well.................... ;)

Sam,

Allen
VHS

It looks like this feature is available with the Micro-Trak 8000 though. I wonder if the 8000 FA also has it, but the PTT label was just left off of pin 11 on the schematic? :confused:

PTT on Micro-Trak 8000 FA

The Micro-Trak 8000 FA chip is a whole different animal then the the Micro-Trak 300 or 8000 (these models just use a regular old TinyTrack 3 chip) Pin 11does not do PTT ( although if you switch it to ground, it willl transmit a dead carrier and eventually set the unit cheerily ablaze!) Please don't do that. No really.

If you guys find that you want or need the PTT IDENT feature, I can see if Byon will make pin 11 act like the other Micro-Traks. Actually, my plan for pin 11 was to make it control a plug-in CTCSS (tone) module so you can send APRS data through a regular repeater. The set of pins on the board marked "aux" is designed for future use for just that purpose.

Allen
VHS

Please don't do that. No really.

Thanks Allen,
I will keep my hands off pin 11. :eek: Well, actually not, since I ordered the Micro Trak 8000 tonight, so I should be ok to put a momentary switch on it. Right?

I have had my tech license for over 20 years. (N7SLE) Got it back when I was trying to go cross country in Hang Gliders and we were using 2 meter handhelds to communicate to the ground crew. Be fun to use the license for APRS.

Sam, gonna do your mod, too.

Last edited:
Back