What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommended settings update: tail number in comments

humptybump

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,

I wanted to pass along an update to the recommended settings for pilots flying with an APRS tracker.

A number of pilots have configured their trackers with their tail number as the primary ID and then, for regulatory purposes, have their amateur radio license in the comment field.

Given the APRS system is a capability provided by an FCC license, the recommendation is that your FCC license be used for your call sign. If you want your aircraft tail number included, you place that in the comment field.

It makes sense to me and I recently made this change (while my plane was down for paint) and I know others have also updated their trackers to follow this recommendation.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to pass along an update to the recommended settings for pilots flying with an APRS tracker.

A number of pilots have configured their trackers with their tail number as the primary ID and then, for regulatory purposes, have their amateur radio license in the comment field.

Given the APRS system is a capability provided by an FCC license, the recommendation is that your FCC license be used for your call sign. If you want your aircraft tail number included, you place that in the comment field.

It makes sense to me and I recently made this change (while my plane was down for paint) and I know others have also updated their trackers to follow this recommendation.

With all due respect, I disagree. Yes, the APRS network resides under FCC authority, but the idea of APRS is to provide a tactical information system about a variety of interconnected and stand-alone capabilities of the Amateur Radio network, not just track, cars, boats and planes. The use of "Tactical Callsigns" is clearly not only permissible, but supports the situational awareness the APRS network is designed to fulfill. A "NOVEMBER" number tells people a lot more than that you are some kind of flying thing, and is a great aid to SAR people and disaster recovery personnel. As long as your call sign is in the comment field ( Heck, even if you send it by Morse Code!) you have met the FCC requirements for station identification. By the way, who made this recommendation? Bob Bruninga, who invented APRS, has never mentioned this suggestion to me.

Best regards,

Allen
VHS

The use of "Tactical Callsigns" is clearly not only permissible, but supports the situational awareness the APRS network is designed to fulfill. A "NOVEMBER" number tells people a lot more than that you are some kind of flying thing, and is a great aid to SAR people and disaster recovery personnel. As long as your call sign is in the comment field ( Heck, even if you send it by Morse Code!)

Best regards,

Allen
VHS

Good!----- Now I don't have to pull my wing tip off to turn the transmitter output down to be able to change the fields!!!:D

Besides, if my wife was going to help look for me, she would never be able to remember my Ham call sign. She does know the airplane tail number or could look at a picture of the airplane for a reminder.

Most if not all APRS related searches will look in the raw data as well a just the CALLID.

If you N-Number is in the comment field it will be found.

You can also include other useful information. I know a number of comment fields that include the type of aircraft. You could add other useful information as well.

Hi everyone,

I don't know where this recommendation originated....and the logic of it escapes me.

My N-number will remain in the callsign field of my tracker for several very good and legal reasons.

Last edited:
Back