What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another one...

az_gila

Well Known Member
Well, ground testing in my car wasn't too good, but a quick test flight to-day says I'm working.... yeah...

I have the 300 mW MicroTrak and an 8 W amplifier, but can't seem to verify that the 8 watt amplifier is functional.

Anyway, this is to-day's track with 300 mW unit only, the thin, flex wire Byonics antenna taped to the rear indow of my Tiger, a small plastic box under the pilots seat with the modules, cigarette lighter power via the Byonics power module and a Byonics GPS2 antenna lying on the glareshield.

http://www.mail2600.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?call=N12GA&last=1

I had a few missing points, and only some of the turns had enhanced tracking, but once I got above 600-700 ft AGL things started working. My flight was around 2000 ft AGL, 5600 ft MSL and 8000 ft DA. With the hills around, I guess this is reasonable performance on the 300 mW and my very sub-standard antenna arrangement...:)

A thank you to the VAF APRS guys (and Byonics) for the idea and help...

It should be good enough for family tracking on my July USA Heartland vacation (TX, KS, MO, IA, NE, SD, WY, CO, NM...)

gil A KE6HAP

Back