VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-25-2020, 10:41 AM

I drive a fit. It's my second one. First had 300,000 km (180,0000 miles) on it and is now with my son. Runs perfectly. Never had an issue with the engine. I hope it runs well for you and is reliable.
Instagram @sblack2154
Old 02-25-2020, 01:35 PM

It was posted a while ago but is it a good idea to make that oil cooler out of such soft aluminum?
Old 02-25-2020, 01:41 PM

Man if my lycon had VTEC I would be set! Put Ktune hondata on it and let's go beats some v8's. How I miss my ricer days.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
I drive a fit. It's my second one. First had 300,000km (180,0000 miles) on it and is now with my son. Runs perfectly. Never had an issue with the engine. I hope it runs well for you and is reliable.
There is little debate that the Honda engines have a great reputation. As with most "alternative" engines the weak link is usually the gearbox, then the cooling system. But typically if there is a failure the "auto" engine usually takes the blame.

The project has been a blast so far. No project like this, including mine, has not had some setbacks, but right now, I am very happy and look forward to getting it flying.

Anyway, thanks for the post.

Charlie
2020 Dues paid
Old 02-25-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McStevens View Post
It was posted a while ago but is it a good idea to make that oil cooler out of such soft aluminum?
It is an intercooler not an oilcooler. (Hope I did not say "oilcooler"on the vid.)
It just cools the air from the turbo on its way to the engine.

But....yes, it would be too light for an oilcooler...

Thanks for posting.

Charlie
2020 Dues paid
Old 02-25-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Man if my lycon had VTEC I would be set! Put Ktune hondata on it and let's go beats some v8's. How I miss my ricer days.
The engine I am using is the R18 nothing like the "typeR" engines, but it does quite well at the RPM and Mild boost I am using. Most of the super high performance we see in the new engines get all that super power at real high RPM $6k+) that is (IMHO) not all that applicable for aircraft flying. When you see the power they produce at more realistic ranges like 4K-5K RPM they start to look real similar - given the same displacement and same boost........

(But I would not pass up on a free K20C1 for my project!!!!).

You mentioned Ktuner. I am using Simple Digital Systems EM4. (SDSEFI.com) It has control over ignition and injection timing and is very user friendly. I believe it is absolutely one of the most important components with this project. I have never used KTuner, but this SDS is so simple I don't think I could have had the success I have ad so far without it. One super feature is that it has a mixture knob. Which for an airplane in flight, it is far more user friendly than trying to change a fuel map on a laptop while flying.

Charlie
2020 Dues paid
Old 02-26-2020, 03:57 PM

Super good. I'm eagerly following your progress and await first flight testing...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 537

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 PM

Default fuse on stand for wing fit

Things are progressing well.

It was time for me to fit and rig the wings. I have had them on the Fuse before but not to set the incidence, sweep and install most of the bolts for a true test fit. (as you can see in my avatar....

To do this you have to set the plane up on a stand without the main wheels. This is because the main wheel gear leg on a "-A" are attached directly to the wingspar.

Here is my fuse on the stand ready for the wing fit, which I hope will be Saturday.

Charlie
2020 Dues paid
Old 04-04-2020, 06:22 AM

Hope everything is progressing well. I suspect you are sheltering-in-place and working steadily on project. Stay safe. I keep checking for updates...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 537

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 04-04-2020, 10:00 AM

Default Update control rigging etc

Jim, et all,

Yes, things are going well. I am burning the midnight oil lately on non-engine related build tasks. Like, rigging all the controls, finishing all the panel wiring, pitot system, brake systems, etc. Sort of the not-so-fun-stuff for me. But it is going well.

Here is a pic of me setting the wing incidence. After reading the manual I sought out to do things with various priorities in mind. 1) Watching for proper edge distance on drilling rear spar tabs. 2) Making sure the wings were true to each other. 3) being true to the longerons. Using a digital scale with many reference checks I was very happy to get the wings at 0.00 degrees to each other and within 0.44 degrees true to the longerons. The edge distance was no issue at all.

I also was very happy setting the wing sweep. The manual says withing 1/2" is allowed. I dropped the 4 plumb lines off the forward edge of the wings per plans and shot a laser across them. The laser hit all four lines. Probably about 1/8" tolerance at the end of the light. Good by me esp knowing this is a slow build before all the wonderful pre-punched holes.

Here are some pics.

Here is the laser shot:

I have had a terrible time in the past 3 months finding a hangar to rent in SW Washington. I did find one that was $650 a month plus utilities. Nice, but I really hope I don't have to rent that one!

I am on Mike Seagers schedule in May for transition training and I am trying really hard to find a CFI before that for some refersher training but with the virus, no one is giving one-on-one instruction.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

Charlie
2020 Dues paid

Last edited by charosenz : 04-04-2020 at 10:07 AM.