What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 seat production aircraft

Brian130

Well Known Member
Until I can get started building, I'd like something to fly. Anyone have experience owning a simple 2 seat producation aircraft? What was it? Pros/Cons? The 4 seat market is pretty well established with Cherokees and 172s, but I can't seem to find much in the way of 2 seaters.

Brian,
I owned a Piper Tomahawk for several years, having just sold it to help pay for the engine for my -7A. I really enjoyed having it as it was always available when the weather was nice. Financially it probably didn't make a lot of sense once you add up the costs of annuals, tie-down, etc, but the convenience was worth it to me. Not too speedy, and I had to be pretty careful on the weight and balance (especially the "weight" part). I sold it for what I had paid for it. I would probably do it over again. My opinion- Don't be afraid of the Tomahawk. They are relatively roomy, good visiblilty, straightforward annuals, low fuel burn, etc. I never felt threatened by the oft-mentioned stall/spin characteristics. Good luck and fly safely!
Ward

Two seaters

To me, it comes down to mission profile. :p

Building a TW RV and need TW time, and not travelling long distances: Cessna 120/140 can be had for approx $20K. Not fast, but fun, cheap and tons of TW experience.

Building a NW RV, or want to build IFR time : Grumman Yankee. Two seats, Nose Wheel, and quite quick. Not sure of the prices. Also check into mid 1960's Mooney C or E model with johnson bar landing gear. Very few AD's no oleo struts to go bad, no flap nor gear motors or limit switches to go bad. I maintian mine for as little as it would take to maintain a 172. This is the short body Mooney, the back seat is there, but it's kinda cramped for four adults. 145 kts true on 180 HP. :cool: Buy a beater for $40K, decked out doll for $55K

Get a T-Craft!

I sure miss my '41 65hp wonder. 95 mph on 4gph and 16 gal's of fuel, you do the math.

$350 annuals, $600 yearly insurance, no radios, no transponder, no gps, just fun flying. I was the only guy at my airport who would return after a day of flying with grass hanging from the landing gear! :D

I've got a '69 C-150. The 150 is slow, but cheap to fly. I don't think you'd go wrong buying a 150. I feel pretty positive in saying you could probably fly the wings off it & still get all your initial investment out of it when you sell it. I also feel confident in saying the 150/152 has probably taught more people to fly than any other airplane in the country today. I think there's a reason for it???
The worst part of owning an airplane while building one is, it seems like I'm out flying when I should be in the hanger working on the RV10!!!

Good Luck,
Marshall

TriPacer

I live in Utah (elev 4470) and I own a '53 Piper TriPacer with the 135HP O290-D2 engine. While it left the factory with a back seat, I decided to remove it per the POH in order to increase the cargo bay size. Besides, at high altitude, anything with less perfornamce than a Cessna 182 is really a 2 place airplane. I'll miss that plane when she goes so I can finish my -9. These a/c usually sell for between $15k and $30k.
Steve

Brian
I owned a Grumman TR2 (Basically a Yankee) prior to my RV6 and I found that the flying qualities were remarkably similar to the RV6. Of course it didn't have anywhere near the power. The sight picture is real close to the RV6 also, since the Grumman has the same stubby wings and a bubble canopy. I didn't find that the change from yoke to stick was a concern, you don't even notice it. But...it's not a taildragger!

Back