What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear access hole size?

pczar3

Well Known Member
Patron
I started to do the final rigging on my glacier build 6A and realized I missed putting a bolt in the tie down ring. Trying to reach inside the original access hole is impossible! I have seen planes with a "U-shape" access cover that is larger than the original 2 1/2 by 3 1/4 inch hole called for on page 46 of the plans. What size did you make the access hole? Any pictures would be appreciated. I tried searching the forums but came up empty. I can't seem to find the correct combination of search terms.
Thanks in advance.

I started to do the final rigging on my glacier build 6A and realized I missed putting a bolt in the tie down ring. Trying to reach inside the original access hole is impossible! I have seen planes with a "U-shape" access cover that is larger than the original 2 1/2 by 3 1/4 inch hole called for on page 46 of the plans. What size did you make the access hole? Any pictures would be appreciated. I tried searching the forums but came up empty. I can't seem to find the correct combination of search terms.
Thanks in advance.

Mine is the plans size.

IIRC during final assembly I could get a hand down through the aft hole in the top decking. Removing the elevators and the vertical stab. and rudder for access may be easier than changing access panel size. :)

I did make things easier for myself by making a thin plate that sits on the front of F-612 and has plate nuts on it for the spar and tie down mounting bolts. :)

Thanks Gil

That was my thought also. I have to take the HS off to move the plane to the airport so I may as well wait and do it that way.
Thanks again,
Paul

I used the standard access hole sizes. A large set of forceps (my big ones were 12" I think) will help with working back there. I was able to get all of the nuts on without larger access holes. I don't remember if I had to do it back there, but I often create a small loop of masking tape to hold a nut to a finger when I can't get two fingers into a small spot to start a nut. I remember having to do this many times on the 6 build. You can also tape a nut into a box wrench to get it started.

Larry

Last edited:
Back