What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maximum tint? (I knew this would happen!)

judoka5051

Well Known Member
I have been asked if my tinted canopy (gray 2094) meets FAA spec for night flying. I have no idea! I doubt it though.. I have looked and looked, but the only thing I found was that the specs were listed in MIL-P-25374B, but everyone wants to sell it to you. I'd hate to buy it just for one piece of data. Anyone know how the maximum tint is determined, and what that value is?

Thanks, Lance

That is what my Rocket's canopy is ...

... and the operating limitations read certified for day/night VFR flight.

YMMV

David Howe

Part 23 for certified planes would be the closest reference -

(e) The windshield and side windows forward of the pilot's back when the pilot is seated in the normal flight position must have a luminous transmittance value of not less than 70 percent.

From here - http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part23-775-FAR.shtml

It looks like your #2094 would not pass for a certified plane at 45% visible light transmission -

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/plastics_library/Plexiglass-Solar-Visible-Light-Transmit

Many Thanks!!

Especially you Gil!

I'm rarely stuck, but when I am, I drink a Dos Equis, and look to VAF!

David's response got me to thinking too. Ultimately it's the DAR's decision whether or not it's acceptable, so it comes down that, and the pilot's comfort level.

I am going to look into availability of '2515' in the correct size. Maybe I should stock a little of that too... But I'm still using '2094' on my plane, Too hot in S.FL!

Thanks again, Lance

Especially you Gil!
I'm rarely stuck, but when I am, I drink a Dos Equis, and look to VAF!
David's response got me to thinking too. Ultimately it's the DAR's decision whether or not it's acceptable, so it comes down that, and the pilot's comfort level.
I am going to look into availability of '2515' in the correct size. Maybe I should stock a little of that too... But I'm still using '2094' on my plane, Too hot in S.FL!
Thanks again, Lance

Actually it's NOT the DARs decision. The DAR does not certify the aircraft for night or IFR operations. Your operating limitations will state that you are OK for night flight if you meet the requirements of part 91.205.

Back