What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT magnetometer mount in wingtip adjustment

tectweaker

Well Known Member
So I decided to mount the magnetometer in the wing tip in my rv8a.

It seems to be doing okay from an interference point of view but I am confused about pitch and roll settings for the mount.

If it is mounted vertically - do I just match the ahrs pitch setting to the angle it is mounted or there is some other trick?

Other thing to do would be to make a bracket and then mount if horizontally and match the ahrs roll and pitch angles.

I made brackets and mounted mine horizontally on the last wing ribs (one magnetometer in each wing tip), matched the alignment with my AHRS mount. Been working fine for 200 hours. I can adjust the brackets if I need to, but so far, no issues.

I just happened to talk to grt about this yesterday. The pitch angle is critical and should match the AHRS as closely as possible. However, the roll angle is not critical and it can be mounted right on the side of a wing rib in a vertical position.
The magnetometer needs to be of the newer variety so you might want to check with them regarding the model you have. Mine has the d-sub connector facing aft, which is one of the questions they asked me, and was ordered at a Oshkosh last year.
Hope that helps.

Thanks

That is helpful info.

That is what I was thinking since I already mounted it vertically and saw bunch of pictures in that configuration.

Back