What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA inspection

jwilbur

Well Known Member
I was under the impression that the airplane had to be ready to fly in order to get the final FAA inspection. But I saw a picture here on VAF the other day where it looked like a certificate was given for an airplane with the wings not yet installed. I'm getting pretty close to inspection time. Can someone school me on the process? Clearly I have some misunderstandings.

It's got to be ready to fly. Now having said that, talk to your inspector/DAR as to whether they want it is opened up like for a condition inspection (which is the way most want it), or literally everything buttoned up waiting for someone to jump in and hit the starter (like mine did). Unfortunately, I assumed the former which meant it took 2 visits before I actually got my pink slip.

If you are going through the Washington FSDO, let me know which inspector you draw as there is one in particular that has a number of quirks.

Last edited:
Joe .... Ditto what Todd said. During the conversation when you are setting up the appointment, ask what the inspector wants as far as access and let him know of any design issues that may hamper his desires and let him make the decision as to what he wants.

I the case of the RV-12 in order to have access to the tail cone, the fuel tank needs to be removed. My inspector wanted to see an engine run so he could look for fuel and oil leaks so for the typical RV-12 that means no access to the tail cone.

Last edited:
RV12

Joe, I think the picture you saw was of an RV-12. It has removable wings. So, complete and ready to fly. Merrill

I was under the impression that the airplane had to be ready to fly in order to get the final FAA inspection. But I saw a picture here on VAF the other day where it looked like a certificate was given for an airplane with the wings not yet installed. I'm getting pretty close to inspection time. Can someone school me on the process? Clearly I have some misunderstandings.

We just had two Tucson RV-6As inspected by the Scottsdale MIDO a day apart with different inspectors.

One wanted it "ready to fly" but was OK with my suggestion to have the cowling off.

The other wanted every single inspection panel, and the seat panels, removed.

Just contact the inspector assigned to you by the MIDO office ahead of time and do what they want. :)

Even with the best of communication - there still can be problems. My inspector wanted the aircraft "opened up as ready for a condition inspection". For an RV12, that requires the wings to be removed. He had photos of the plane opened up with the wings removed, and when he got here, he checked with his supervisor who told him there was no way to give an AW cert with the wings off! He wanted me to provide him another trip when I put the wings back on, I told him goodbye and don't come back ever!
I paid his transportation and he went back home. I found a more sensible DAR that did not want the wings off, suited me, I am easy to please.

So what I'm getting from all this is there's not much uniformity about what they'll want to see and consequently what they actually inspect. The point of any inspection from my perspective is safety. It seems this may not be something to count on from the FAA so I'm hoping some of you might be willing to come by my hangar in the coming weeks and take a look-see at my airplane and find any problems I've missed. KCJR. I'm planning to move to the airport on Saturday (4/22) so anytime after that and before first flight sometime in May (I hope). If you can do it, please send me a PM.

So what I'm getting from all this is there's not much uniformity about what they'll want to see and consequently what they actually inspect. The point of any inspection from my perspective is safety. It seems this may not be something to count on from the FAA so I'm hoping some of you might be willing to come by my hangar in the coming weeks and take a look-see at my airplane and find any problems I've missed. KCJR. I'm planning to move to the airport on Saturday (4/22) so anytime after that and before first flight sometime in May (I hope). If you can do it, please send me a PM.

Joe, you hit the nail on the head. I had a number of chapter members, a couple of whom are tech counselors, stop by and give me a pre-inspection once over. I'll shoot you a copy of the latest newsletter that has their contact info. One of them is Dick Kohler of EAA How to Video fame. He was the last person to look at my plane before the FAA so I felt completely confident my plane was good-to-go which was good because my FAA inspection was more a paperwork drill than an inspection.

You sure got that right. I recently watched a DAR walk briskly down the left side only of an aircraft, commenting that the dataplate was OK, as well as the passenger warning, and handed the owner his paperwork!
A visit from someone who has built one like yours would be worth the effort..

I view it as two items. A paperwork inspection, and a safety inspection.

Take matters into your own hands and work on getting your own safety inspection, letting the final DAR/MIDO guys do the paperwork bit. If the DAR/FAA-MIDO inspector also does some of the safety stuff, then all the better, but don't rely on it.

I had multiple RV owners/builders view my project in the last few weeks, and had 3 separate A&P/IA folks check over the engine installation. I had another set of eyes check before any of the inspection/seat panels were finally screwed down.

Simply put, you are responsible for it being in an airworthy state, as required by the signed AW entry in your log book, so don't rely on a single inspector. Your approach seems correct if you can get other builders and A&Ps in for a look.

Last edited:
This is what I include in my original paperwork package to the applicant.

"The aircraft must be completed and ready for flight except for the removal of cowlings, fairings, and inspection covers as if for the annual condition inspection. I will need access to all connections for flight and engine controls and fuel lines. If you have an aerobatic RV with extended range fuel tanks, I require a placard stating that aerobatics are prohibited with any amount of fuel
in the auxiliary tanks. I will also need to observe a gear retraction test on retract aircraft.
If you have any questions, let's discuss before the inspection."

As far as the wings being off, how can you possibly check aileron and flap rigging with the aircraft in that state?

Last edited:
Back