What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Governor

DCalland

I have a Lycoming O 360 and have the prop governor that shipped with the Van's FWF kit. The only way the Jihostrol governor fits the pad on the engine such that the control cable has to route to the bottom of the governor and it appears that it should be to the top (the arm is on the bottom). My friend flies a 7-A also and the arm on the governor is 180 degrees or on the top side. The governor design is also different as far as the case but the mount looks the same from the outside. Anyone else having the same problem or have an opinion?

If yours is the same as mine, you have to loosten the screws around the governor case and rotate the arm and housing on the end of the governor.

This is certainly true (rotating housing) of the McCaulley governor Van's used to provide.

Roberta

Besides reclocking the arm, you'll find that the straight nipple and hose fitting for the hose to the oil cooler interferes with the cable bracket. You'll need a 45 nipple and custom hose with a 45 on one end. )_(Dan had this problem, so did I, and a few others have so mentioned. Also, if your governor isn't at least a -D serial number, send it to MT for a free upgrade. Otherwise, Hartzells tend to surge when heat thins the oil.

John Siebold

Gov's on the way to MT
Carb's headed back to Lycon
SL-30 is going back to Garmin
But the airplane flies great!

Correction! I have a Straubing governor, model D94315 made by Avia Propeller. Here are a couple of pictures of it. It only mounts this way on the pad and it also does not seem correct that the stops are different. One uses the screw head for the stop and the other uses threaded end of the screw. The more I study this thing the more confused I am getting! If I loosen the screws and rotate the head I think I will need to flip the arm 180 degrees also?

That looks for all the world like a J-governor. Avia probably just stuck their label on it.

Loosen the screws, rotate the aft end with the arm and its stops about 180 degrees. The bracket is held atop the governor by the two lower mounting studs from the engine. The cable fixing end of the bracket will be more or less pointed toward the left (port) mag. The cable will point at the control arm which at rest is spring loaded onto the high rpm adjustment screw. The arm requires very little ccw rotation (the cable pulls on the arm) to chop rpms significantly; you'll never pull the arm all the way around to the low rpm stop (screw head) in normal operation. Once everything is aligned the way you like it, tighten the screws and re-lockwire.

John Siebold

Back