What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Best Day of Her Life -- saved from Death Row

Thank you...

Arlen,

That clip was the highlight of my Sunday. Thank you, Sir!

v/r,
dr

Arlen

Thanks, plays well on my laptop.
China is such a sweet dog.
Great video, and so many dogs helped.
Thanks to you, and so many others, giving the gift of life.

John

Bill,

Sorry that you had that experience. The Young Eagles and Pilots 'n' Paws are both worthy efforts and everyone deserved to get airborne in a timely fashion. I guess it was tough for the tower to make that happen.

At the same time, I have to laugh. The situation you described is par for the course at my airport. it's not unusual for me to be cleared number 10 behind the Falcons, Citations, King Airs, TBM's and all the rest. You boys back east with your single strip airports and grass strips (which we don't have in Colorado) are very spoiled.

Keep the blue side up,

Joe

Bill,

Yes, I sat in line for 15 minutes awaiting departure. It all worked out nicely.

There were a few wonderful factors that worked together for all of us:

- I thought the ground and tower controllers did a marvelous job working planes in and out of the two runways.

- Luckily this wasn't July, and it was only 70 dF, so I didn't bake inside the canopy.

- I've also flown for YE....a wonderful experience every time.

- There are many opportunities to do good things with these great planes of ours. These kinds of activities are ways of giving back and giving thanks for being blessed with an airplane and the ability to fly it.

Don't get me wrong, P&P's is a good thing. It is just that having that, YE, and all the inbound traffic combined was too much.

That must be the reason why they don't have YE flights during OSH.

Some have asked how I mount the Garmin Virb Elite on the wing tip.

I purchased the base and the mount from "PlaneAround" http://planearound.com/ -- they have mounts and bases for both GoPro and the Virb.

I had a GoPro before my Virb Elite, so I use the GoPro mount with the adapter that comes with the Virb when you buy it.

Since the Virb Elite has built in GPS and WiFi, I can turn the recording on and off from my iPad in the cockpit while in flight.

You can also mount it under the wing at the tie-down...
t0guo5.jpg

jjr56p.jpg

Last edited:
To keep you out of trouble...

I have been told by "a knowledgeable source" that if you hang a camera on your plane, you have to sign it into Phase I, test fly the plane w/the external cameras installed, and then sign it back into Phase II.

Good, Good Day

Arlen: It does me so much good to see you participating in such worthwhile purposes, and using your plane so well. Just great accomplishment. Keep up the good work. :D

Arlen: It does me so much good to see you participating in such worthwhile purposes, and using your plane so well. Just great accomplishment. Keep up the good work. :D

Giles,
It is wonderful to own and be entrusted to use this (your) plane; I enjoy it immensely. Thanks again for building it sooooo wonderfully.

How many

Arlen

You can probably answer a question that has been in my mind for a long time. How many and what size kennels can you fit in a RV6? What combination of kennels do you prefer?

I have been thinking about P&P, I have signed up but not taken the leap yet. I do not want to commit and then not be able to fit the kennel or kennel's in the plane.

Arlen

You can probably answer a question that has been in my mind for a long time. How many and what size kennels can you fit in a RV6? What combination of kennels do you prefer?

I have been thinking about P&P, I have signed up but not taken the leap yet. I do not want to commit and then not be able to fit the kennel or kennel's in the plane.
Mike,

Do it! It's great fun. And, the fuel cost is deductible (they're a 501(c)(3) ).

For crates, I use one of these 24" collapsible wire crates on the floor behind the seat: http://www.chewy.com/dog/midwest-li...tUW50VwDdCgqbK3tO9wIa9i9lpv5AjtEBRhoCq47w_wcB

and I also have a couple small plastic crates provided by PnP that I can sit on top of the wire crate or put one on the right seat.

And, of course, little "China" wasn't in a crate at all for our flight.

I've probably transported 50 dogs over the past 5 years, and every one of them gets calm and goes to sleep after the engine starts.

Last edited:
Dude really?

The Greenville EAA chapter was giving Young Eagle rides during the Aviation Expo.

For some unknown reason all the Pilots & Paws left with IFR clearances.

This meant that while all those pilots were lined up trying to give dogs rides, we were on the other side of the runway trying to give kids YE rides.

Imagine if you will, 49 airplanes trying to depart at one time from a single strip Class Delta airport IFR at the same time. They were backup 10+ deep waiting for their clearances.

Those of us trying to give over 60 Young Eagle rides were stuck on the other side of the runway sweltering with the kids, trying to introduce them to aviation. I'm afraid all they were introduced to were hot cockpits and overworked controllers, who weren't used to such traffic. (I sat, first in line at Bravo 1, for over 15 minutes waiting to get off, and that was my shortest wait.)

Next year, if P&P's are there, the YE pilots probably won't be. To much delay, cooking engines and kids.

Had the Pilots & Paws departed VFR and picked up their clearances in the air (It was a beautiful VFR day), things would have gone MUCH better.

I have been told by "a knowledgeable source" that if you hang a camera on your plane, you have to sign it into Phase I, test fly the plane w/the external cameras installed, and then sign it back into Phase II.

Dude, a cute story like this and these are the thoughts that come to your mind? This is a cute uplifting story and should be taken as such. A little less "mental" and a little more "Walter Mitty" or youthful enthusiasm might be in order from time to time.

I am sure two worthy activities like P&P and Young Eagles can fly from the same airport at the same time. Try something novel like I don't know talking to each other. That might be a good start. I guarantee if those kids could see the rescue dogs being saved they would not mind the wait and would probably want to help!

Sorry to pounce but somethings are just meant to be fun and enjoyed. Like a cute little dog sitting on your shoulders enjoying his/her flight to freedom and a happy life :)

Bill,

...just to clarify.

One-third of the PnP pilots are VFR only, so not "all" of them were filing IFR. And, I had my clearance from the ground controller LONG before I was in line, patiently waiting my time to take off and fit in with the Young Eagle and other flights, so that should not have delayed anyone..

So, all is well. BACK TO TOPIC...

I would ask that source to cite the regs.

Pretty sure every episode of airplane repo is nothing but a string of violations of this if it were true.

Arlen your video isn't working on youtube

I would ask that source to cite the regs.

Pretty sure every episode of airplane repo is nothing but a string of violations of this if it were true.

Arlen your video isn't working on youtube

Just telling you what I was told. If the pilot wants to speak up, he will as he is one of us.

Just be cautious!

I can't speak about a TV show but it may be they get approval, I have no way of knowing.

Great video, brought a big smile to my face. Yet another piece of inspiration to keep building!

Back