What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Map Box or no Map Box

mcgaughy

Patron
For those flying....I'm building an RV7a Tip-up and at the point where I need to decide whether to install the map box. I plan to have an IFR glass panel but not a tremendous amount of "extras."

Any recommendations from those who have gone before me?

Thanks!

Ellis
2017 Paid

If you have the room do it. You will never have enough places to store stuff like extra pens, batteries, rags, etc. I used the map box kit but ended up making a much larger storage area since I had the space on the passenger side. Now I don't have to worry about trying to pull something out of the baggage compartment or having things flying around the cockpit in turbulence.

I did not install one but do have the Classic Aero interior, which gives me a pocket on the sidewall. That has been more than adequate.

One other thing I did was to make a clip that goes on the flap motor cover to hold my fuel sampler. Here's a link to some pictures.

Last edited:
Start with the biggest map box you can.
Make it the width of a standard radio stack.
Shrink the box as you add stuff.

My map box has shrunk to almost nothing :eek:

I am glad we installed one. I shorted it some and deceased the height so it would fit nicely. I don't use it for sectionals so didn't need all that depth.
2mc7xaa.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm just not a map box person - every glove box I have ever seen in a car is so full of junk as to be unusable, and most glove boxes I see in planes are similar. We have one in the RV-3, and it is a great place to keep the airframe activity log - but is, as Glen suggested - the width of the avionics stack between the pilot's legs, and uses all the rest of the available space. It has never collected any more stuff than that.

For me, it is a trade-off between avionics and a glove box when it comes to limited panel space. If you have the room, and like them, go ahead and put one in. If you find that you have to trade something else for the glovebox, then decide on your priorities. Only you can decide what you want.

I have pockets on the sides of the airplanes that hold essentials, and I carry what I need for each flight on my kneeboard. I just don't like carrying a bunch of non-essential stuff around - and I don't carry paper maps (except for printed out approach plates for destination and alternates if I am IFR) anymore.

Put one in if you want one - not because others have done so.

If you are going to go inverted, a chart box is a great place to keep stuff so that it does not float out of pockets, or where-ever. I love mine! Keep Ops Limits, canopy breaker, spare fuses, wallet, spare glasses, and other stuff in it. ymmv

Merrill

I've got one, and while it was a bit of a hassle to install (involves cutting and reinforcing the sub panel), I find it extremely handy and useful. Contents right now: Life Hammer for breaking Plexi, handheld comm, fuel tester/screwdriver, extra fuses, flashlight, W&B document, microfiber towel. I lined mine with black felt, secured with 3M spray adhesive, for a more finished look.

Why not

If you have the room why not. I did with ice panel. Like stated it took cutting the corner and deglazing the box to make it fit. But no big deal.

Good idea to put breakout hammer in there. I'll do that next flight.

+1 for why not

If you have the space, why not. I agree with Paul that it can fill with stuff so needs cleaning out occasionally but it is handy for spare batteries for the Bose, 12v cable for the backup handheld radio, spare glasses, puke bags etc
Figs

very nice to have

Big yes. It is perfectly located to quickly sanitize the cockpit and store any number of easy in reach items during flight.

Back