What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle to cowl clearance

Tbone

Well Known Member
On my baffle plan drawings (RV7) it asks for a clearance between 3/8 -1/2" from the baffle "edge" to inner cowling. Is there any reason to defer from these dimensions due to differences in seal material or clearance issues? Any gotchas or areas I need to look out for and pay close attention to?

Same question

I've got the same question - I have this level of clearance, and I've read somewhere that others had the baffles touching the cowl when the engine shakes. Only 1/2" seems a bit tight, but will the engine shake more than 0.5" in any direction?

Here's the area where it seems the tightest:

Not Really

We use some of Van's seal for the most part and then we use some of the heavy thick stuff from ACS. We set up the cowl to be 3/8th. from the baffle and this all seems to work just fine. I guess you could shoot for 7/16 if your wanted to. Just kidding. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I had a small paint crack spot (ellispe shape) that I couldn't figure out until I read a post from another about similar. I can't remember who it was but thanks for your post. When I looked closer I had contact with the baffle and the aft edge flat of the bonded inlet fairing. It was wearing a knife edge into the alum baffle and cutting into the glass. I removed the fiberglass interference.

Back