What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Protecting push pull cables from heat

tturner

Well Known Member
I have read a number of threads discussing throttle and mixture cables being damaged by heat. I have an idea that may help this problem. First has anyone tried this method and what were your results. Second I am not sure if this long a strip of copper can transfer enough heat to be effective. Feel free to give me your comments.

This applies to the cables used on an RV-8 IO-360-M1B. The OD for the cables is .350. The heat sleeve shown below is .5 ID and .020 thick. The plan is to wrap the cable one time with a sheet of copper with a thickness of 8 mil ( 32 gauge ). This would extend from the firewall forward over the complete cable to it's termination point. The heat shield would then be slid over the cable and copper with the exception of the last 8 to 10 inches before it reaches the firewall. The idea is for the heat absorbed by the cable under the engine to be transferred back to the firewall region of the cable where it is cooler. This sleeve material is available in many sizes and also as an open sleeve that is held closed with velcro. It is rated for 2000 degrees. A 3 foot section on Amazon was about $17. I have not purchased the copper yet.

I'd before I went the copper strip route, I'd try the following:

1) Route the cables as far away from your exhaust as possible. Every little bit helps, so if you can separate them by 6", don't accept a 4" gap.

2) Install heat shields between the exhaust and the nearest cable(s). I'm talking about your basic aluminum barrier heat shield, with an air gap on both sides, possibly clamped to the exhaust.

3) Install your "thermo shield" material on the cables. It can't hurt.

Honestly, the cables are not an issue if you can maintain a decent space between them and the exhaust - they don't fail suddenly. I replaced my 15 year old cables a year or so ago. They were beginning to get stiff. Not sure if heat or age caught up to them...

Back