What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS position mismatch GDL83 vs 660

rjcthree

Well Known Member
I have just installed a GDL82 for my ADSB out solution, it’s coupled to a GTX327, using the Garmin supplied external antenna. The installation went fine (other than being sore from being under the panel), and I get green across the board in the setup program, but i’m still in FF condition inspection so I didn’t fly it yet. I noticed that the GPS position reported by the GDL82 and the Aera660 is different by seven to ten minutes of latitude and longitude on the ground. This is sitting still just outside the hanger with five satilites tracked by the GDL82 and eight by the 660. On on first pass, I believe the 660, but it’s not a scientific determination, I’m just used to the 660 putting me right where I physically am on the moving map. I should note I’m running a GDL39 to the 660 for the ‘in’ solution for about a year trouble free.

Is this normal? Did I do something to cause this? Is a failure mode of something? Should I just fly it and see what happens in the report? Any home nets are apreciated.

Last edited:
Solution

Replying to my own post seems weird, but hey.....

Anyway, the GDL82 found itself after a prolonged period of on time. Over about 20 minutes it moved until it matched all the other GPS units on board - 660, iPhone, iPad both running foreflight.

So all?s good. Give it time to dial itself in first time. The 20 minutes in the manual may not quite been enough.

Back