What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil quantity Superior cold air sump

Daida

Well Known Member
Hi Folks!

I have installed a ECi Titan XIO 360 engine.
For different reasons i have installed the superior cold air sump and not the ECi.
Engine oil, next to the lubrication, serves as engine coolant as well. So the total oil quantity should be as stated in the engine operators manual.
It says max 8 qt. The Minimum oil quantity is stated with 4 qt.

As the cold air sump is significantly smaller than the Standard oil sump i ask myself about the oil Level when i put 8 qt in my engine.
It will definetly be higher as the sump itself is smaller!

Will the oil level be too high and i end up just burning the excessive oil?
Will the higher oil level harm the engine by any means?

How do you guys, with the superior cold air sump, deal with this issue??

Or do i look for a Problem where there is none......

cheers

Daida

I emailed Superior about this and their response was that their sump holds the same amount (8 QT) as the old style. Filling to 8 QT will not result in burning more oil but will likely result in it going out the breather tube. Most O360s like 6-6.5 QT, at most.

That said, it would be a good idea to check the markings on the stick while filling and adjust/remark as necessary to ensure it is correct.

and when marking, remember the amount that is held in the filter, cooler, and system. If you mark based on a dry fill of the sump, your markings will be too high on the stick after engine run.
I'd put 5 or 6 in, run it, let sit, mark the 5 or 6 spot, then add the a quart, mark, add another, mark, etc.

Filing a flat spot on the stick with the edge of your mill file gives the oil a place to "hang" and makes checking clean oil easier. I also stamped a small number in the flat for the quantity.

Back