What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon's new ADS-B receiver: Shipping date?

Gash

Well Known Member
Dynon says "Fall" 2012 shipping for their new ADS-B receiver. I just looked outside. It feels like fall at least. Any good rumors on the actual ship date?

Fall doesn't even start for 15 days!

We're still expecting to deliver in fall (that would be between Sept 22th and Dec 20th), but we don't have any more specific dates than that right now.

Anxiously waiting as usual. Haven't been disappointed with ANY Dynon product. Already have a Freeflight WAAS GPS waiting to go with it....

Glad to see the new stuff still on track. Anyone want to start a rumor on when Dynon will release at least a firm outline drawing of the Skyview advanced AP control head next? ;)

Fall doesn't even start for 15 days!

I know, I know. :) But with the NFL kicking off this weekend, and temperatures dipping below the 100's in the Valley of the Sun (Surface of the Sun), it just seems like Fall to me.

When can we get a peek at the installation instructions for this ADS-B module?

I'm ready to close up the back of the fuselage and would like to make sure it will fit, and also will drag some wires back there now while it is wide open.

Quotes from Dynon:

The wiring requirements for the Dynon box will be 4 wires to a D9 male cable (D9 female on the box).

1: Power In
2: RX in to Box, TX on SkyView Wires
3: TX from box, RX on SkyView wires
4: Ground

There is a standard BNC connector to go to the antenna.

Remember, this box can be anywhere in the plane (panel, under a seat, in the back).

And:

The box can be mounted anywhere inside the plane in any orientation.

The antenna needs to be 2' away from the transponder antenna (hopefully less, we're still testing).

The coax can be any length you'll get an a 2 or 4 place GA plane, from 0' to 30'.

The box draws about 200mA at 12V.

from the thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=88844&highlight=dynon+adsb

A/P controller--well room for a contoller

latestpanelfull.jpg

I hope Dynon provides a cutout dimension before I install my panel.

I hope Dynon provides a cutout dimension before I install my panel.

Exactly. I'm ready to start cutting my panel as well, and what I've heard from Dynon so far on this is that it will be similar to a business card and half the height of a Skyview panel. I assume this means a 10" panel. Hopefully someone can give us something a bit more firm soon. Not that I'm going to cut a hole before I have the appliance in my hands, but I'd sure like to plan for it by moving other stuff around if/as required. Dynon, any love? Pleeease???? :D

Dynon had Said to plan on a business card size module that stands vertically for the radio, That's one heck of a business card if that is what it is.

May be a dumb question but what type of Antenna needs to go with the ADSB module?

Last edited:
I am looking at going with 2 Delta Pop antennas, One Transponder and one UAT, I know there is a requirement for the distance between the Antenna and the Device it is Transmitting for however is there any requirement for the distance they should be from each other and other antennas such as the COM?

-david

Credit card sized sounds right

Dynon had Said to plan on a business card size module that stands vertically for the radio, That's one heck of a business card if that is what it is.

I asked the Dynon guy at Sywell and he said half of that tall narrow panel will be for the advanced A/P. A quick look at the back confirmed that there were indeed two cut-outs of about credit-card size. I didn't ask what the other half would be for.

We've discussed two control panels, the com radio and an autopilot. They will be the same size as one another, which is 1/2 the height of a D1000 screen, and 1.8" wide. Thus, the RV-8 picture above is showing the space for two control panels stacked on top of one another.

Neither our transponder or ADS-B box need any real antenna separation from a GPS or com antenna, but that doesn't mean your COM or GPS doesn't want separation. You need to read the manual for each device and go with the longest separation that is specified.

Where does the ADS-B box need to be mounted? If in the back, how far away from the ADAHRS box?

I am looking at going with 2 Delta Pop antennas, One Transponder and one UAT, I know there is a requirement for the distance between the Antenna and the Device it is Transmitting for however is there any requirement for the distance they should be from each other and other antennas such as the COM?

-david

You'll want about 5' separation between the 1090 and 978 antennae to make sure you don't get any interference. I put my 1090 and transponder well aft of the baggage compartment, and the 978 centered between and slightly aft of the main gear. Comm radio manufacturers all pretty much recommend 24" or better between them and any other structure or antennae, I wasn't able to get that but I have 22" on one comm and 23" on the other.

You'll want about 5' separation between the 1090 and 978 antennae to make sure you don't get any interference. I put my 1090 and transponder well aft of the baggage compartment, and the 978 centered between and slightly aft of the main gear. Comm radio manufacturers all pretty much recommend 24" or better between them and any other structure or antennae, I wasn't able to get that but I have 22" on one comm and 23" on the other.

Dynon says 2 feet minimum separation (not 5) from UAT antenna to the transponder antenna...

Dynon says 2 feet minimum separation (not 5) from UAT antenna to the transponder antenna...

I like it thanks for this info, I will verify with Dynon and put the 2 antennas in the corners right after the firewall under the floors

Back