What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat cushion thickness & rudder pedal positioning...

kbalch

Well Known Member
Given that I'm getting ready to order my seats and am also about to start work on the rudder pedals, I've been wondering about optimal dimensions.

I should say upfront that I'm 6' tall and have a 34" inseam. My plan is to locate the rudder pedals in their middle position and expect that either the center or aft seat bottom hinge will suit me. Does that sound reasonable?

The seats are a bigger question. Should I be thinking about making changes to the standard thicknesses of bottom and back cushions (I'm going with Flightline Interiors) or is that likely to be unnecessary?

There must be some similarly-sized guys ahead of me... :)

I am 6'2" with a 33" inseam and have the Classic Aero seats installed on the middle hinge.

My pedals are in the forward position and it's very comfortable. For others to reach the pedals I just put the seat on the forward hinge and that seems to work for most.

The issue you may have with the forward position is that you will need to fabricate new CS-00015 CABLE LINKS to add an extra hole or you will have an issue rigging the rudder later on, there won't be enough throw.

E has a great solution for this - http://rv-14a.blogspot.com/2017/10/fuselage-rudder-and-brake-systems.html

Last edited:
I’m thinking of trying the middle pedal position and the rear seat bottom hinge. Will that work with stock links to yield full rudder throw?

I had to move my rudder pedals to the farthest forward position and have my seat back it the farthest aft position. I’m 6’1” with a 32 inch inseam. I still wish I had another two inches of leg space but my current configuration works. Give yourself as much leg room as possible - you won’t be sorry.

I realize the 14 is bigger than the 7 but my legs need room. I guess that’s why your building a 14.

Last edited:
What he said

I had to move my rudder pedals to the farthest forward position and have my seat back it the farthest aft position. I?m 6?1? with a 32 inch inseam. I still wish I had another two inches of leg space but my current configuration works. Give yourself as much leg room as possible - you won?t be sorry.

I realize the 14 is bigger than the 7 but my legs need room. I guess that?s why your building a 14.

I?m 6?3? with a 34? inseam, rudders full forward, seat full back. Could use more leg room, but love it as is compared with anything else. I made new rudder cabl links to solve the problem Bill noted, above. One station longer is all i needed.

I sure wish Van?s would fix this problem and make new longer rudder attachements so the pedals can be put in the fwd position as designed. I dont think we should have to have these fabricated.

Now is the time to think about a parachute too. Planning on flying with one - either during initial testing or thereafter? A seat pack will add about 3" to your height and a backpack will push your hips forward about 2.5". "Removable" cushions to allow for the chute are the way to go.

Now is the time to think about a parachute too. Planning on flying with one - either during initial testing or thereafter? A seat pack will add about 3" to your height and a backpack will push your hips forward about 2.5". "Removable" cushions to allow for the chute are the way to go.

Absolutely!! I tried to post this question last night, but the site flakiness prevented it from going through properly (or at all). See below

---------

OK, guys, thanks. I didn't have to use the forward-most position with my -8, but it sounds as though I'll need to maximize leg room in the -14. So, stock cushion thicknesses from Flightline, too. Anybody fit a seat 'chute in the -14? I've used the Strong 304 in the past and was thinking about picking up another one.

CS-00015 Extra Hole Source?

I sure wish Van?s would fix this problem and make new longer rudder attachements so the pedals can be put in the fwd position as designed. I dont think we should have to have these fabricated.

I'm finally to the point where I have to find a source for the longer CS-00015 links due to the forward location of my rudder pedals. Short of finding a water jet cutting machine, how have others fixed this issue? Has Van's made any longer CS-00015 parts?

Thanks

Just my opinion on seat positioning, but you need to consider your personal preferences along with your height. I?m 6? with a 33? inseam but I prefer to sit more upright than some...lower back issues. My seat and pedals are in the middle position and I like the combination of posture and rudder pedal authority. Abby at Flightline did my seats but I would think other sources would have very similar thicknesses.

Anyway, consider how you like to sit and where you want your feet to be on those longer flights. If you want to talk specifics about Abby?s products let me know. Very satisfied!!

Also, you have some time before you have to worry about the rudder links. Get the pedal position dialed-in and worry about the other later.

This might be worthy of a separate thread, but it struck a nerve. I moved the rudder pedals in my -4 (owned since 2003) as far forward as I could get them, and I'm only 5'9". Quite comfortable in that position, with the top of the seatback moved to behind the rollbar instead of resting on it.

I just bought a -6, and discovered that even with the seat hinge in the most forward position and the pedals in the most aft, I couldn't get full pedal extension while keeping my feet off the brakes. This seems due, at least in part, to the fact that the -6 seat bottoms are quite a bit longer than the -4.That, and the lower 'bucket' nature of the -6 seatpan relative to the spar, seems to limit my leg extension. (Also found that the stick was about 4" farther aft, relative to overall seating position. This means my arm is much farther aft in relation to my body, and the stick is more in my gut.)

Point of all this is, do a serious appraisal of whether you can fully use the rudders without getting on the brakes, and still be able to use the brakes if needed. Toes at max extension on the rudder bar means no access to brakes, but if you move your toes up on the brakes for max extension, can you fully deflect the rudders without standing on the brakes? I have to wonder how many loss of control incidents have happened because of this.

Or maybe it's just me....

I'm 6' with a 34" inseam and, having selected the middle rudder pedal position some time ago, I've been looking forward to installing the rudder, setting the seat cushions in place, and finalizing the rudder cable link connection with some trepidation.

I'm very happy to say that the middle rudder pedal position, the middle seatback position, the penultimate link position (on the extended links), and Abby's standard seat cushions all combined for a perfect fit.

My relief at discovering that I wouldn't have to move the rudder pedals at this point in the construction process was palpable... :)

CS-00015 Source

I am a the point where I need the longer CS-00015. Getting ready for initial engine start. 6'4", Seat aft, rudder pedals forward, Flightline Interior seats.

Any source for the extended part or workaround? I guess i could nest a couple of the current CS-00015 links if necessary, but i would like a cleaner solution.

Thanks,

Rob

My solution

I spoke to Sterling @Vans last week about this and he suggested I buy a ss-4130-050x1/2x20 from them for 2.85 and just drill 4 new links. After listening to me bitch and moan for a few minutes he told me that all the other models have to drill their own, so I shut up and bought the piece of metal. 🙄. Looking at how to layout and drill this now.

What he said...

I?m 6?3? with a 34? inseam, rudders full forward, seat full back. Could use more leg room, but love it as is compared with anything else. I made new rudder cabl links to solve the problem Bill noted, above. One station longer is all i needed.

I?m 6?3?, 34? inseam, rudders full forward, seat full back, would love even more room, but it works and is comfortable enough for long flights. I also made new longer rudder links, one station longer was just right.

Went for a demo ride yesterday in the RV-14A and was quite enjoyable. I could however use more legroom. I will fabricate 4 longer CS-00015's. Before I do I thought I would check to see if anyone had these fabricated and made extras by chance. Please let me know if you have some available.

Regards,
Jim

Back