What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Popularity of Trigear vs Taildragger by model

Raiz

Well Known Member
I'm NOT trying to start a "which end is best for the 3rd wheel debate" but this graph might interest some of you. It shows how many RV-6s, 7s, 8s and 9s of each type are flying in the US.

Graph10.jpg

The percentage splits for each model are:
RV-6A 49%, RV-6 51%
RV-7A 61%, RV-7 39%
RV-8A 22%, RV-8 78%
RV-9A 90%, RV-9 10%

The data comes from the FAA register and only includes aircraft with an airworthiness certificate. I assume the reason the numbers are a lower than those from the hobbs meter is that foreign registered aircraft are not included.

Raiz

I assume the reason the numbers are a lower than those from the hobbs meter is that foreign registered aircraft are not included.

They are also lower because a lot of kitbuilder's don't regster their aircrfat as a "Van's RV-X"....they call it a "Whiz-Bang 6" or whatever they wish....

Before the taildragger RV-9 came out the tri-gear 9's were RV-9's, no A's. Same as the RV-10 and -12's. Thus the number of 9's vs 9A's will not be correct.

Last edited:
I'd would really like to know how many -9's are built or being built as a tailwheel. Even from the data in the graph I am sure tail wheel -9's represent a comparatively small % of the model -9(A). I am surprised that there are so many 7a's

Mine is an RV-6

Van did a good job designing the tail draggers. They are short, and have short and low wings giving them low rotational moments of inertia in roll and yaw on the ground. In addition they have a wide and stabilizing main gear wheel base. They also have a decent tail wheel design.

In summary they are the easiest tail draggers I have flown.

A Cub has a long high wing that wants to "wag". In addition it has a narrow foot print - a bit like landing with your ankles bound together and a 30 foot plank strapped to your shoulders.

When landing an RV tail dragger it seems like your your feet are spread apart and your arms are tucked in. Much more stable.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim Sharkey

I'm a 10 percenter :cool:

murphys.jpg

This picture was taken two days ago at my friend's airstrip. It was one of those "perfect setting" pictures - hot, late summer evening with the fading glow of a hazy sun, and a lone tail dragger ready for a turf field departure.

Last edited:
I'm surprised the 7 / 7A percentages aren't closer, and I'm surprised there are more 8's than 7's. (of either type) I'm guessing the 9 has something to do with that.

I assume the reason the numbers are a lower than those from the hobbs meter is that foreign registered aircraft are not included.

Raiz

I would also guess Van's Hobbs meter is low because some people that fly never tell Vans.

Back