VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-19-2019, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the update Dave. Good luck with your meetings with the airframe manufacturers. Hopefully they’ll be receptive to ideas that will help “future proof” their airplanes which, in the long run, will be good for general aviation future overall. Hint hint....Jet A is the future😎
2019 VAF Donation Complete
Old 07-19-2019, 04:42 PM

Default 49clipper

Dave,

What kind of CS speed prop will be required on the turbine? Will a standard cs prop used on a recip work, or does it take something special? I realize they would normally have beta thrust, but other than that? Just wondering about the added cost of the prop.
Jim
Old 07-19-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49clipper View Post
Dave,

What kind of CS speed prop will be required on the turbine? Will a standard cs prop used on a recip work, or does it take something special? I realize they would normally have beta thrust, but other than that? Just wondering about the added cost of the prop.
Jim
I suspect any hydraulic prop capable of handling 200hp would work. No piston power pulses, a 200 hp prop would probably be overengineered but why change what works.

Beta thrust would probably be extra complication since the prop governor would have to be smart enough to increase pitch to increase rpm in beta, opposite of what they normally do. And, really, when do you need beta thrust for any 200 hp aircraft? Don’t feel bad, I was the wonk asking for bleed air...
Old 07-19-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49clipper View Post
Dave,

Jim
We are currently assessing propellor options. It is likely that not any cs prop system will work. Our engine may need a system that can alter the blade angle at a fairly high rate. Traditionally, turbines are slow to wind up from idle then when a certain % rpm is achieved they literally take off. We need to ensure that we use a prop system that is matched to our engines.

For safety reasons, we will only recommend some specific systems that we have tested on our engines. We hope that folks will heed our recommendations.

Dave