What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV3 Top skins

RV3Kev

9A0B5D8E-21C6-4F51-8889-BB4595F79D46
[/IMG][/IMG]Finally started on the top skins now that the wing skeleton is in the frame and
Aligned. I didn?t drill any holes in the spars as suggested in the instructions but calculated the distance between the rear spar top edge and a plum line made made certain that both ends are the same distance. I also used an automatic level to get the main spar to within 0.1 mm.

One question about the top skin. The required width is 95.5 inches but the supplied piece is 96 inches. Should I keep the addition width in case the edges are damaged in the process of drilling the skin to the skeleton. Should l put all the additional width to one side.

Thoughts please?

Last edited:
Definitely keep the extra. You?ll need if for the wing tip and inboard fairing attach nutplates. If there?s too much you can always remove it later. See if there?s a drawing for the inboard detail. Overhang as required and leave the rest overhanging the outboard end.
My father in-law Steve Lenne recently completed his RV3 (in Cobram so not that far away from you) and I remember the leftover skin flanges left at each end were pretty skinny.
Cheers
Richard

Agreed, definitely keep the extra length and I would add at least an 1/8 and maybe a 1/4 to the outboard overhang. The drawings show 1/2 inch on which you need to drill and dimple or place hinge for wing tip mounting and this is indeed very skinny.

Last edited:
Back