What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removable stick wiring connector

WyoDave

Well Known Member
I want to make the passenger stick removable in my RV-6. Any recommendations on what type of connector to use for the PTT wires?
Thanks!

Break out board

I want to make the passenger stick removable in my RV-6. Any recommendations on what type of connector to use for the PTT wires?
Thanks!

I plan on installing a 15 pin D-sub breakout board. Just pull the D-sub and remove the stick.

Right now I am using a micro-molex connector. I like those connectors because they are compact and have a positive latch. I made a little hook out of safety wire, so when I remove the stick, I can hook the wire over the edge of the socket so it doesn't fall down.

In the future, I am thinking of replacing it with male/female headphone connectors (or similar) and bonding or retaining them in the stick and socket so they align. That way it connects automatically when I insert the stick.

An alternative is to move the PTT for the passenger to the panel (or side panel).

I often pull the rear stick in my RV-8 and decided to eliminate the wires all together. The PTT is now next to where the headset jacks are for the passenger.

An alternative is to move the PTT for the passenger to the panel (or side panel).

I often pull the rear stick in my RV-8 and decided to eliminate the wires all together. The PTT is now next to where the headset jacks are for the passenger.

Yep, I also put the CP PTT on the panel in the side by sides for the same reason. That and a quick release on the stick makes removing the stick about a 30 second job.

I used a nine pin Molex connection. Was relatively easy to install and it?s secure and easy to connect and disconnect. Takes just a few minutes to remove or reinstall stick. I have CP PTT, comm swap, freq swap, coolie hat trim switch, A/P & ident on the copilot military style grip.

Quick Connect

Best I came across is what Bruce Hill did. U can see it in his build site ?Overthehills.com? in his RV9A project under the flaps & trim section. He put 9 pin connectors imbedded in the stick and receptical. I liked it so much I did the same. Works great. EZ to install and remove.

Mine looks like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5of5q1tkmlj1sx4/Right Stick Cable Connect.JPG?dl=0

Works great with Infinity stick grip... 15-pin DB connector. The actual stick is drilled and tapped for a #8 hex head bolt. Easy to remove...

YES!! Thank you, Waldo. Your solution is exactly what I'm looking for, and a better solution than my DSUB CPC search:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=171499

I will shamefully copy your technique for my new sticks. :cool:

Why do you remove the rear stick often? I currently fly a Champ and never took it off.. Do you remove it when you fly with chlidren?

I remove mine any time I need to lay on my back under the panel to check wiring or add components. Sure beats squeezing between the sticks and having to lay on the fuel selector. Being able to remove the stick is handy if you need to reconfigure buttons on your Infinity grip, or bring extra supplies for a camping trip, or create more belly room for "horizontally challenged" passengers!

9 pin D-sub will fit

I see Keith mentioned what I did above. I shamelessly stole the original idea from someone else here on VAF, so please don't credit me with any actual creativity. :D

I have dual Tosten grips and was able to get all 10 of the wires (2 of them are both ground) to fit on a 9 pin D-sub connector inside the passenger control stick tubing. Wire it up then use some 5 minute epoxy from your favorite automotive retail parts store and get it fixed in place. Then get the stick in place on the passenger side and connect it up with the other side and do the same on that end.

It works great and is easy to plug in and out.

IMG_3892-M.jpg

IMG_3897-M.jpg

IMG_3900-M.jpg

IMG_3902-M.jpg

More details and photos here.

Back