VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-26-2020, 08:13 AM

Default PANEL SUGGESTIONS Please

My vacuum pump died. I want to toss the system. I'm strongly considering the Garmin G5. But since I already want to upgrade my steam gauge panel, the vac system death seems like the nudge I need to make some moves.

But I'm a noob with regards to avionics and what talks to what... on the side... I have an iPad with FlyQ that I'll always have with me as well.

I have an uninstalled TT Digiflight ii I want to install. I also have a panel mounted Garmin 196 that has to GO!

Do I go with a Garmin G5 and Aera 660 gps to run the autopilot

OR

Double the investment and go with the GRT Horizon 10.1...

OR

YOUR FRIENDLY SUGGESTIONS

Avionics options are truly daunting to think about.

I'm looking forward to your opinions!

Thank you.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:42 AM

Default PANEL SUGGESTIONS Please

You haven't defined your mission yet. VFR or IFR. That's your first step. In my case I wanted my panel to be IFR capable, what's more, I wanted it to have an EFIS on the co-pilot side for my instructor. So this resulted in some big bucks. A friend built his with steam gauges, com radio, transponder and tablet GPS since he wanted a VFR ship and that's what he was comfortable with.

A few years ago, Stein Bruch wrote an excellent series of articles (I think one per year) in Kitplanes comparing various EFIS and other systems. Subscribers to Kitplanes can access these online.

In my case a tech from Aerotronics gave me a personal education when I asked "What's the best EFIS system". His reply was "For what mission". I'm using Aerotronics to build my panel. Steinair also does a lot of RV panels. You might consider these options.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrye View Post
You haven't defined your mission yet. VFR or IFR. That's your first step. In my case I wanted my panel to be IFR capable, what's more, I wanted it to have an EFIS on the co-pilot side for my instructor. So this resulted in some big bucks. A friend built his with steam gauges, com radio, transponder and tablet GPS since he wanted a VFR ship and that's what he was comfortable with.

A few years ago, Stein Bruch wrote an excellent series of articles (I think one per year) in Kitplanes comparing various EFIS and other systems. Subscribers to Kitplanes can access these online.

In my case a tech from Aerotronics gave me a personal education when I asked "What's the best EFIS system". His reply was "For what mission". I'm using Aerotronics to build my panel. Steinair also does a lot of RV panels. You might consider these options.

Very good question.

It's a VFR a/c.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:04 AM

Might want to look at AV-30 from uAvionics.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:29 AM

Decide the end state, then purchase components as money/time allow. Point being buy stuff that builds a system, not just a collection of individual stuff.

For me, even VFR I don’t fly without a moving map that integrates ADS-B weather and contacts - and a two axis autopilot. When I was young and stupid I relied too much on the “big sky - small plane” theory. I found out there are better/safer ways to fly.

I flew someone else’s RV-8 for a few months that had only an iPad for ADS-B weather and traffic. I hated it.

Do not think you need to pay someone to build your panel. These days with network EFIS systems it is not all that hard to do it yourself.

Carl
Old 02-26-2020, 09:53 AM

You’ve asked a loaded question and everyone will have a different opinion. Example: Carl doesn’t like an iPad for ADS-B traffic and WX. I love my iPad (with ForeFlight and stratus) for planning, ADS-B, WX and backup instruments. If VFR is your mission then the G5 and Aera 660 is perfect. The big GRT is very nice but so is the GRT Sport EX with EIS. Lots of VFR option that could be upgraded later.

SnF is just over a month away. Come on down and checkout all the good stuff in person. They usually have discounts if you buy at the show.
2020 dues paid
Old 02-26-2020, 11:43 AM

Great feedback guys. I'm listening...
Old 02-26-2020, 12:07 PM

I am absolutely not a fan of iAnything in the cockpit. They are known to fail, washout in the sunshine, etc.

I have one 10" SkyView and for day and night VFR, it is amazing. I'm sure the same can be said for Garmin or any of the others.

I do have my SkyView driving the autopilot and transponder with a separate Icom 210 radio. The combination is very easy to install and very clean looking.

When/if I upgrade to IFR, it will be an easy upgrade.

Good luck figuring out what you want to go with.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 02-26-2020, 12:47 PM

As was said, there are lots of great VFR options that offer good support...Dynon, GRT, AFS, MGL, Garmin... It is definitely a bit overwhelming making a choice. Everyone has their opinion on which one is best.

My Dynon Skyview is great, although I have to say the GRT flight playback feature one of our guys has is nice. Use the internet and do the research. I made a spreadsheet and compared the cost and features of the various brands to help figure out the total cost and what I was getting. Set your budget and pick your poison.

One of the guys just replaced his old Lowrance 2000C with a Garmin 660. Loves it. Can't go wrong with a portable Garmin GPS, although they always seem to be the most expensive.

One other thing to consider is resale. I think it makes the plane a little easier to sell when you have equipment people are familiar with and has known good support. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the popular brands. FWIW.
RV7 - Built in 6.5 yrs & Flying 2017
Old 02-26-2020, 09:38 PM

It all depends on your mission, as said before. Playing with the different ones and going through the menus will go a long way.

We were flying down to so cal last week for an appointment. Dealing with altitude holds, traffic, restricted & multiple controlled airspace’s, turbulence, and vectors from ATC.... I looked over at my wife and jokingly said a moving map and autopilot were required equipment for this flight.

I have done the same flight with an old rented Cherokee as a new pilot, but it wasn’t fun.

It’s a great time to have an experimental airplane. The equipment available to us at a reasonable cost is unheard of in the certified world.

+1 for a phone call to Stein. They can answer all your questions.

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!

Last edited by climberrn : 02-26-2020 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Stein