- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2020, 12:50 PM

Default Engine hoist

When parts arrive will need engine hoist...none available locally...shipping costs run $100 or more...anyone know of a web site that has a cheap hoist and/or free shipping?

Saturday 2/22 update The best deal I could find on an engine hoist was $205 including shipping from Simmit Racing....after I am done with it you can have it fo a "song"

Last edited by Wolfgang : 02-22-2020 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-19-2020, 06:51 PM

How about a scissor Jack? Harbor Freight SKU: 96406
It can also be used to lift the tail when setting the RV-12 on saw horses by yourself.
Another option is to lift the engine using a fulcrum and lever made from 2x4 wood.
I have not received the new gear yet, so have not tried either of the above.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:46 AM

a few years ago i picked up a used 1/2 ton chain hoist. handiest thing there is for hoisting. a comealong is a major pain. i think i paid $40. you will find other uses for it.
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 02-20-2020, 07:07 PM

I have two questions…

The fairing on the nose gear strut is fastened with two #10 screws – could this also be source of stress concentration. I would imagine the long straight section of the nose strut flexes considerably with poor landing technique.

The broken nose gear that set this SB in motion – was the tube completely severed or did it just develop a crack and bend?
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 526

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H

Last edited by Piper J3 : 02-20-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
I have two questions…

The fairing on the nose gear strut is fastened with two #10 screws – could this also be source of stress concentration. I would imagine the long straight section of the nose strut flexes considerably with poor landing technique.
I was also concerned about drilling a hole for those screws. I think I'm going to use some double sided tape to capture the nose strut fairing in place.

Planning to install the new gear this weekend. Had to rent an engine hoist and pickup truck to carry the lift. As recommended by another poster plan to use ½" PEX counter bored to 31/64" to capture drill guide bit and cut to length to provide an extension arm to hold drill guide in place against the new gear flange.

Edit: It turned out I had to use a ½" drill to counter bore a hole in the PEX to capture the drill bushing. Kudos to the OP in a different thread that came up with this idea!
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous

Last edited by TomVal : 02-22-2020 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVal View Post
I was also concerned about drilling a hole for those screws. I think I'm going to use some double sided tape to capture the nose strut fairing in place.
I too had second thoughts about drilling holes into the nose gear tubing ... so I decided to not install the nose gear leg fairing at all. Any potential speed gains I may lose by not installing the nose gear fairing have probably been negated by the main gear leg fairings I installed.

Happy flying,
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2020
Old 02-21-2020, 07:25 AM

Maybe Van's can run a quick Finite Element Analysis and tell us if the two screw holes are stress riser in the the gear leg...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 526

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 02-21-2020, 08:46 AM

If there was a concern about drilling holes in the gear leg for the leg fairing attach screws, they would have never been specified there originally, and/or they would have been deleted when the new nose gear leg was designed, so no FEA on the screw holes is like to happen (see below for reason).

Sorry if that sounds a bit sarcastic.... I don't mean it to be, but it is the reality.

A bit of engineering and physics needs to be applied to understand why these holes are not an issue.

One, would be to understand what the bending loads are along a beam or arm such as the nose gear leg. The bending loads are the highest at each end where the arm attaches to other members (think of the effect that a long lever arm can have to amplify force). The bending loads are the lowest at the very mid point of the arm (that is where the lever arm is the shortest distance to other members where the loads are being applied).

That is why the screw holes are at the very mid point of the leg, vs a pair of holes at the upper end, and a pair at the lower end.

Another factor is the way the loads are distributed through the arm.

In the case of the nose gear leg, when a high upward load (hard landing for example) is applied, and the leg tries to bend, the material along the very top of the tube is being compressed along the length of the leg, and the material along the bottom edge of the tube is being stretched as the tube tries to bend into a curved shape.

The screw holes are purposely located on the sides of the leg, which puts them in the neutral axis of the tube..... the portion of the tube where there is no compression or tension load when the leg is being loaded vertically.

This is an overly simplified explanation.

Go to this reference (or just google "neutral axis") for more details.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-ne...axis-of-a-beam

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 02-26-2020, 05:44 PM

Anyone else here that has to perform their annual and complete it by March 31st, or Feb 29th, 2020?

I don't think ours is going to arrive in time by 3-31, and we'll be grounded until it arrives and we get it installed. E-LSA

Last edited by NinerBikes : 02-27-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:53 PM

My annual is due 3/31. I havenít decided yet what I am going to do. I want to put an endoscope down the gear leg and see if itís possible to get a good look at the area where the crack initiates. Since mine is an ELSA I have some latitude that SLSA owners donít.