VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-07-2016, 09:07 PM

I started out with the full process including the alodine step, and somewhere doing the wings, I dropped alodine. I didn't see any difference in the results. Less exposure to toxic stuff, and I didn't have to deal with disposal issues.

I did the acetone wipe down, alumiprep & scuff with scotchbrite pad, rinse, air dry, mark with blue sharpie (if needed) and shoot AKZO within a day, and let dry. On the interior, I followed with JetFlex WR within 24 hours for top coat of color.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2019 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 02-12-2016, 05:25 PM

Default AKZO Protection?

So I just got my AKZO delivered, still setting up shop to spray. The warnings were nasty (heart, liver, kidney, CNS, peripheral nervous damage, chemical burns to skin...)

Obviously full suit and face mask. Need good air.

So I've been looking hard for a fresh air respirator, but can't seem to find one under a grand online, and nobody sells one in town that I could test out first. So let's say I took the chance and used a filter & cartridge to protect me from these nasty carcinogens. Where/how could I verify that a filtered respirator will actually do the job against the chemicals in the AKZO? No odor doesn't necessarily mean safe....
Old 02-23-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTibbo View Post
So I've been looking hard for a fresh air respirator, but can't seem to find one under a grand online, and nobody sells one in town that I could test out first. So let's say I took the chance and used a filter & cartridge to protect me from these nasty carcinogens. Where/how could I verify that a filtered respirator will actually do the job against the chemicals in the AKZO? No odor doesn't necessarily mean safe....
I attended an EAA Sportair workshop recently in which my instructor (composites) said he'd modified a 3M or equivalent full face mask to have a connection to an oil-free air compressor with low PSI and flow control. He said to make sure the compressor is upwind of where you're going to work. He also said to make sure you seal up the filter cartridge ports on the mask very well. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have a decent filter between the compressor and the mask. I got my 3M full face mask for < $100 from Amazon, cartridges are about $20/set if you go that way. I think some of the lightweight air hose and fittings that Cleaveland Air Tools sells would be useful. Sounds like a solution that would probably cost less than $300. Heck, Blue Cross/Blue Shield might pay you to do it, cuz it's a lot less expensive than getting treated for cancer, COPD, or liver failure.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:34 AM

Default Hobby air

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF86301 View Post
I attended an EAA Sportair workshop recently in which my instructor (composites) said he'd modified a 3M or equivalent full face mask to have a connection to an oil-free air compressor with low PSI and flow control. He said to make sure the compressor is upwind of where you're going to work. He also said to make sure you seal up the filter cartridge ports on the mask very well. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have a decent filter between the compressor and the mask. I got my 3M full face mask for < $100 from Amazon, cartridges are about $20/set if you go that way. I think some of the lightweight air hose and fittings that Cleaveland Air Tools sells would be useful. Sounds like a solution that would probably cost less than $300. Heck, Blue Cross/Blue Shield might pay you to do it, cuz it's a lot less expensive than getting treated for cancer, COPD, or liver failure.
You can get a complete Hobby Air positive pressure system for about the same.
Love mine. I put a fitting in the wall between the shop and house. Works great.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...SABEgLL2fD_BwE
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/03/2019, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 02-23-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTibbo View Post
So I just got my AKZO delivered, still setting up shop to spray. The warnings were nasty (heart, liver, kidney, CNS, peripheral nervous damage, chemical burns to skin...)

Obviously full suit and face mask. Need good air.

cartridges are graded. The cheap ones are only for organic solvents. YOu need the high end ones for chemicals. I can't remember the grade name. The organic solvents are simply irritants. The killer is the isocyanates. It is not an organic solvent and the basic cartridge won't filter it out. It is mostly odorless.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
cartridges are graded. The cheap ones are only for organic solvents. YOu need the high end ones for chemicals. I can't remember the grade name. The organic solvents are simply irritants. The killer is the isocyanates. It is not an organic solvent and the basic cartridge won't filter it out. It is mostly odorless.
Isocyanates aren't listed at all in the 3m filter application guide. Previous threads on vans have stated that the basic organic vapor filters are all you need. Any chance you can provide more details?

2020 dues paid.