What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tool Issue (sort of)

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I thought that I had "all" the tools I would need to build the wings, but this week I found two thing things required for the flaps and the ailerons. The former requires a 6" # 33 drill bit. I had a regular #33 jobber bit, but one needs a 6" bit to drill out the holes for the blind rivets near the flaps. Then on the ailerons one needs 120 degree dimple dies for the pop rivets that connect the trailing end ribs together.

This has not really stopped me from building, but was sort of unexpected.

Maybe these were included in standard kits from the tool vendors, but I put my tools together from various vendors.

Has anyone found any other tools that one might require for building that they had not expected?

The tools which come to mind right now:

flaring tool (not cheap) for the fuel lines (maybe people borrow this one)
3/8" reamer for the hole in W-1007C
6" #33 drill bit
120 degree dimple dies (maybe this is a common thing, but I did not know I needed them)

I am sure that there are plenty of more tools with will pop up, but I won't know until that occurs.

cheers
ken

I do believe there is a list of tools required to build the RV-14 included with the emp. kit.

Tool Sections

I got in the habit of looking ahead in the manual. Usually on the bottom of page 1 of a new section, they list what "special" tools are needed for that section. So I read ahead, so I can order them to arrive before I start that section. I know for the elevators you need a special bucking bar. Cleaveland and Avery both have it. Also, you can post a WTB in classifieds for that bar because I am sure there are some available since I believe that is the only place it's needed and builders are willing to sell them.

I did not notice the special tools listed on page one of a new section. I guess a flaring tool is not special.

I would also contend that a special bucking bar is required for the attaching the skins to the spar of the flap. I have a little 2 lbs tungsten bucking bar with a bevel:

http://www.tungstenbuckingbars.com/prices.html

ETBB04

I know that other 3/4" by 3/4" by 4" would not have worked

Back