What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Spar Flange Bend

JDBoston

Well Known Member
Can someone who has easy access to their wing spars measure or at least estimate what their bend is on the outboard side of the spar? I noticed that one of mine (upper) appears to be less than 90 degrees and am already in contact with Vans but before I make a big deal about something trivial wanted to have someone else cross check. Are all of yours consistent?

Ken (vans) says spec is around 92.5-93 degrees and just putting a square across the top of one spar yields less than 90 degrees on this one spar in particular. Not sure yet how big a deal or not that is and I would think it is fixable.

Hopefully the semi-blurry photo helps explain.

QUICK UPDATE: Ken mentioned that the reference for the 92.5 degrees here is not what I am measuring potentially. It is the forward face of the flange right at the bend point which is not what I measured. I will go back tonight and do it again. NO need for concern :)

350umh0.jpg

Last edited:
this bend is likely measured from the flat sheet bend. Your bend looks like it went from 3 o'clock (0 deg) to 6 o'clock (90 deg) and then a little more..... It's probably good....

Back