Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-08-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyator View Post
AN fittings should not use sealant of any type.On NPT fittings, like the ones in the brake cylinders, I would recommend either permatex#2, or loctite 567. Use sparingly on the tapered thread of the fitting.
Cheers,
DaveH
I'm talking about the AN 822 4D fittings that screw into the master cylinders. I used Permatex #2 there. I'm confused by what you've written. In section 5 it states that all threaded fittings (including the AN fittings which have an obvious taper) used on an RV are NPT and thus require sealant.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)

Last edited by RandyAB : 03-08-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
MATCO recommends Loctite 567 for their brake fittings. I have had very good success with 567 on all of my RV-12's threaded (oil, gas, brake, etc.) NPT fittings. My local hydraulics supplier had it available in small tubes.
Thanks Dave. I used Permatex #2 on the master cylinders (couldn't locally source the Loctite). The stuff is nasty like Proseal however. I ordered Loctite from Acklands Grainger and will use that from now on. I just wasn't sure which to get.
2017 dues paid
Old 03-08-2018, 10:50 PM

The tapered part of the thread, eg the part that threads into the master cylinder, requires sealant. The AN nut and flare connections such as you will find on the fuel lines will seal by their design. They should not have sealant on them.
That permatex can be a bit sticky. When I was mechanicing(?) we cleaned up with a little IPA. It's still a good sealant and will certainly do the job.
Hope this helps
Cheers DaveH.

Last edited by daveyator : 03-08-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
The tapered part of the thread, eg the part that threads into the master cylinder, requires sealant. The AN nut and flare connections such as you will find on the fuel lines will seal by their design. They should not have sealant on them.
That permatex can be a bit sticky. When I was mechanicing(?) we cleaned up with a little IPA. It's still a good sealant and will certainly do the job.
Hope this helps
Cheers DaveH.
The other side of that fitting has even a more pronounced taper Dave. I'll have to do a bit more research to try and understand what you are saying because i thought that both sides needed sealant.

Who would have thought that Indian Pale Ale had so many good uses!
2017 dues paid
Old 03-09-2018, 02:12 AM

I like your thinking on the IPA. Don't waste the good stuff on cleaning up. Save it for later.
What I'm getting at is that you have to seal the threads, such as where the fitting screws into the master cylinder. The 'bit with the nut' such as the brake tube end, is designed to seal mechanically. That little brass thingy that we Aussies call an olive, is trapped between 2 opposing tapers. The force of the nut pushing down on it makes it bite into the outside of the plastic line, producing the seal. Assembled correctly, no sealant should be needed.
Similarly the AN 37.5 degree fittings rely on a clean finished taper to make the seal mechanically. No sealant should be needed.
Clear as mud, eh?
Love your tail number, that's what my grandkids call me.
Let's go oilers
DaveH
Old 03-09-2018, 09:44 AM

Another thought: Be sure that whichever sealant you use for your fuel line fittings, that it is compatible with the ethanol in your fuel (if you use ethanol-poisoned auto gas). As I noted earlier, the Loctite 567 on my RV-12 is working very nicely to date.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 700+ hours (as of Nov 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Another thought: Be sure that whichever sealant you use for your fuel line fittings, that it is compatible with the ethanol in your fuel (if you use ethanol-poisoned auto gas). As I noted earlier, the Loctite 567 on my RV-12 is working very nicely to date.
Thanks Dave. No mogas for me. My engine is going to have 9:1 compression and the builder didn't recommend that it be used. I ordered both the 565 and 567 just to be sure that I had the correct stuff on hand.
2017 dues paid
Old 03-09-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I like your thinking on the IPA. Don't waste the good stuff on cleaning up. Save it for later.
What I'm getting at is that you have to seal the threads, such as where the fitting screws into the master cylinder. The 'bit with the nut' such as the brake tube end, is designed to seal mechanically. That little brass thingy that we Aussies call an olive, is trapped between 2 opposing tapers. The force of the nut pushing down on it makes it bite into the outside of the plastic line, producing the seal. Assembled correctly, no sealant should be needed.
Similarly the AN 37.5 degree fittings rely on a clean finished taper to make the seal mechanically. No sealant should be needed.
Clear as mud, eh?
Love your tail number, that's what my grandkids call me.
Let's go oilers
DaveH
Yes Dave. Tom at TS Flightlines confirmed what you said. Thanks for saving me from a mistake! I owe you an IPA or two!
2017 dues paid
Old 07-29-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
MATCO recommends Loctite 567 for their brake fittings. I have had very good success with 567 on all of my RV-12's threaded (oil, gas, brake, etc.) NPT fittings. My local hydraulics supplier had it available in small tubes.
I've been trying to find the Loctite 567 with no joy. It's on the NAPA website but they (the company) are completely out.

-Marc
Old 07-29-2018, 02:30 PM

Here....https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Glue-Lo...sid=m570.l1313
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks