What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tip up canopy bushing not tight in hole

bill v

Well Known Member
instruction have you push bushing into hole in canopy frame with your rivet squeezer. I could push mine in with my fingers. asked a machinist how I could get bushing tight. He said you could tighten a hole by putting a ball over the hole and hitting it with a hammer it seems like it would open the hole but it tightens it. I did not have faith so I was very gentile but it did work amazingly well. I put the frame tab on a steel table a friend held the frame so I could place a one inch diameter steel ball bearing over the hole and taped the ball gently because I expected it not to work. but after I had to get the bushing started from the other side of the hole and use my rivet squeezer to push it in

Last edited:
New bushings are easy to make.

The hole likely got drilled, not reamed, too big. That said, I just machined new bushings to fit the hole, then they have the fill diameter and length of contact. Just use white brass. 15 min on the lathe and you have new bushings.

My new bushings had offset center holes to effect final adjustments to the canopy fit as well.

Last edited:
I've heard there are people who don't have lathes. I don't know how they live. I have 2! Might get a 3rd. :D people are nicer to you when they know you have one. Even nicer if you have a mill.

Back