What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

82 degree countersink

Hi again all,

I'm working on E-616PP, the trim cover attach plate on the LH elevator. I'm looking to countersink the holes for the AN507-6R6 screws that attach to the K1100-06 platenuts, and I'm a bit confused as to what bit to use.

The spec I found for the AN507-6R6 lists its head shape as 82 degrees. From what I gather, the hole size is a #28 (I don't have a #28 bit, but that seems to be the implied hole size for this screw). I think all my countersinks that came with the Isham kit are 100 degrees.

Do I need to buy another countersink? If so, where do I get one? I see an 82 degree countersink at Cleaveland, but the pilot appears to be a #33, so I'm afraid it will wander...is there a secret to this, or am I making it too complicated as usual?

Corollary: Is there a master reference for all these different screw sizes and specs that I'm missing? It's driving me crazy that there's a #8, a #10, and then an AN507. Can somebody point me to a chart that I can hang on the wall that will tell me bit size, countersink angle, etc. without having to Google?

In the Cleaveland aircraft tool catalogue there is a centerfold that has all this and more summarized. Super useful.
Tom

You should also get yourself a copy of AC_43.13-1B. It's available from the FAA website for free and covers everything you could imagine in this regard.
Tom.

You should also get yourself a copy of AC_43.13-1B. It's available from the FAA website for free and covers everything you could imagine in this regard.
Tom.

I've got a copy, but at 646 pages it sometimes get overwhelming to find what I'm looking for, particularly for something simple like this. I'll have to see if I can get a Cleaveland catalog shipped out to me with the fold-out...

Back