What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Max Size (Ht) for RV-7

miyu1975

Well Known Member
I am looking to fly go to florida next month and finish my IFR rating. The instructor is 6'3" 220. I know it will be tight, but will he fit ok? Anyone else that tall flying a -7. I am 5'9, 180.

Thanks,

6'1"

I'm 6'1" and 230 lbs. If you have positioned the rudder peddles full forward and the seat back flap at the top is set so that it doesn't slide in the back top rail catch but rests flatly on the top rail he should have sufficient room. The bigger concern is shoulder room. It will be tight sitting next to each other but setting his set like I suggest here will help.

One concern is the seats you have in the airplane. Some of the custom seats marketed out there have thick cushions therefore think about borrowing some "none custom" seats from a friend who has less plush seats if your's are fairly thick.

in a pinch take out the cushions...

Inseam dictates legroom... compare yours to his to see how the rudder pedal position will be... adjust the seatback aft to get more and the seatback cushion can be removed to give another 1-2 inches. Torso length impacts headroom... most cushions add quite a bit here and you can easily use a thin foam pad to gain 1-2 inches.

I'm 6-4, 175, with plenty of room.

I fly with my son often who's 6' 6.5" and 240, 36" inseam. I'd say that's the max for comfort. I've made the seatback flap as short as possible. Single cushion, of course. He almost didn't fit last weekend when we were leaving Kansas until we realized the seat cushions hadn't warmed and conformed. An extra 1/2" and it would be too tight.

Alright. Sounds like I should be fine. I already have sorta thin cushions and I had thought too that I can remove the seat cushion and replace with a thin deer stand cushion. Thanks all. With any luck I should have my ifr ticket very soon.

I'm 6'3", 200 lb. with plenty of room. Does your plane have a standard instrument panel? The deeper ones can really cut into the leg room of taller folks.

Back