What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unrelated question

wirejock

Well Known Member
Moderators...Not very RV related so delete if you want.
Watching Red Bull.
What are the triangluar shaped devices under the wings? They appear to be attached to control surfaces. Maybe an aero counter weight?
Anyone ever put them on an RV (now it's RV related)?:D

Moderators...Not very RV related so delete if you want.
Watching Red Bull.
What are the triangluar shaped devices under the wings? They appear to be attached to control surfaces. Maybe an aero counter weight?
Anyone ever put them on an RV (now it's RV related)?:D

Wiki describes it well - Aileron Spades -

Spades are flat metal plates, usually attached to the aileron lower surface, ahead of the aileron hinge, by a lever arm. They reduce the force needed by the pilot to deflect the aileron and are often seen on aerobatic aircraft. As the aileron is deflected upward, the spade produces a downward aerodynamic force, which tends to rotate the whole assembly so as to further deflect the aileron upward. The size of the spade (and its lever arm) determines how much force the pilot needs to apply to deflect the aileron. A spade works in the same manner as a horn but is more efficient due to the longer moment arm.

Spades are used to lighten control loads. RV ailerons are light to begin with. Not needed.

When I built my RV7 wings, I mounted the aileron with the wing on a table to work the mechanism. (Pushrods & all just to watch it work, everyone does that don't they?) Anyway I was amazed when I realize that with the hinge point below the bottom surface and behind the front of the aileron, the leading edge dropped below the wing when the trailing edge deflected up. That appears to me a very important feature adding to the nice balance of th RV control harmony. Not sure what this has to do with the spade question, but to me it seems to fit.

Bob

This is know as Frise aileron. The "lowered" leading edge on the "raised" aileron adds drag to that side of the aircraft thereby reducing adverse yaw.

Back