What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taildragger handling?

bbqjon

I'm New Here
Hello RV community:

I am respectfully open to any and all opinions/explanations concerning the handling characteristics of the RV-14 during taxi, take-off, and landing. How does it stack up with other taildraggers of similar design, size, power...etc? Can an entry-level tailwheel pilot handle this aircraft adequately and safely?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!

snip...Can an entry-level tailwheel pilot handle this aircraft adequately and safely?....snip

Yes. I got my tailwheel endorsement in my RV-6.

And welcome to the good ship VAF (can't believe I beat Mike to the punch).:D

Last edited:
I fly a lot of different airplanes, and yes - the RV-14 is a pussycat when it comes to handling on the ground, or during take-off or landing. Any taildragger can bite you if you ignore it or abuse it of course - but the -14 (like most all of the RV’s) is a very easy taildragger to fly.

Paul

I would expect the 14 to have the same gentle characteristics and good manners like other Van's taildraggers. My very first ride in a 7 ended in a greaser of a landing followed by five more. The first time ever in a tailwheel airplane. Then three hours in a Champ, an endorsement, I was ready to go. Not every landing has been smooth however. Like other tailwheel airplanes while on the ground you better not text and drive or copy an IFR clearance while moving.

I love reading KITPLANES Magazine! Truly appreciate the feedback. Describing it as a pussycat sets my mind at ease. Appreciate your comments.
Thanks Mr. Dye!

Thanks Dave! I will definitely pay attention while taxiing. One of the reasons I posted this tread was to get good feedback like yours on handling including the dreaded ground loop.
Thanks again!

I was a very new tailwheel pilot when I bought my RV9 in August. Lots of time in twins, turbines and jets. It took me about 15 hours to start feeling comfortable. Now with a little over 35 hours it feels like second nature. That?s not to say everyone of my landings are greasers now. But in the last 25 landings or so I?ve only had one bouncer.

I have time in over 90 different makes and models, many of them taildraggers, and I have found the Van's family of taildraggers are the easiest taildraggers I have ever flown.

What is stunning to me is how similar each of the RV's feel. Van's has done an amazing job!

One last thing, some will say a taildragger's insurance will cost more than an A model. That is true until you get a hundred hours in your -14 and then it will track the nosedreagger's insurance rate.

Last edited:
That's good news!

What insurance company is that with? I've got around 2500 hours but very little tailwheel time (probably around 20 hours). I asked for a ball park quote for an RV7 with $100k hull coverage, this is part of the reply I got;

"The RV7A will be quite a bit more affordable to insure. Full coverage on the RV7A would run about $1200-$1500 a year.
Full coverage on the RV7 would run at least $2,000 the first year and then probably always 25% more than the RV7A each year thereafter."

That was from a company linked on the EAA and Vans web sites.

Total TW time is everything. TT not so much.

Your insurance will be higher for a TW for the first year and at some point it will equalize out.

Call Falcon and see what they offer. The other one is Jenny Estes at Nation Air.

That WAS falcon :)

Not trying to be a wise guy, but I'm planning to build a tail dragger and if there's a better deal to be had, I'd like to know about it, even if I'm potentially a couple of years from needing it.

Thanks

That WAS falcon :)

Not trying to be a wise guy, but I'm planning to build a tail dragger and if there's a better deal to be had, I'd like to know about it, even if I'm potentially a couple of years from needing it.

Thanks

I thought it might have been Falcon. You will pay more the first year, just a fact of life and with very little TW time, it adds to the pain. As I said, at some point it will equalize.

Thank you everyone!

Thanks everyone for your comments to this thread. I value the knowledge and skill that you all have gained over the years. I have pretty much decided on the -14 over the -14A. This forum is a valuable tool and the creators and moderators are to be commended. Please continue to post comments as they are all welcome. Thanks!

Thanks Bill R. for your comments concerning handling and also insight into the insurance. Much appreciated

I was a very new tailwheel pilot when I bought my RV9 in August. Lots of time in twins, turbines and jets. It took me about 15 hours to start feeling comfortable. Now with a little over 35 hours it feels like second nature. That’s not to say everyone of my landings are greasers now. But in the last 25 landings or so I’ve only had one bouncer.

BBQJON, think about what Angelo said, "15 hours to start feeling comfortable."

Think way back to when you were first learning to fly. Didn't it take you between 10 to 15 hours to solo? Same thing with a taildragger. Only now you have to unlean years of bad habits before you can learn new techniques. No big deal, besides, who among us can't use some additional training?

I'm not saying you are a bad pilot, don't take me wrong. I flew with Angelo for some of that 15 hours and he was fundamentally a good pilot but like most high time jet pilots, he would start his flair at 50'. That presented its own set of problems. Once past that he was fine. Two things I liked about Angelo, every turn was coordinated and he always landed on the centerline.

Last edited:
When I was learning to fly & switched from C-150s to 1/3 share in a Luscombe, it raised the insurance rate by at least 30%. At the renewal after I had accumulated 50+ hrs, it went back to the previous rate.

I checked many years ago on how much it would save me to switch from TD to trike, before I started building the -7. I was told, 'nothing'. But virtually all my time is in TD; I probably have less than 30 hrs in trikes.

Charlie

BBQJON, think about what Angelo said, "15 hours to start feeling comfortable."

Think way back to when you were first learning to fly. Didn't it take you between 10 to 15 hours to solo? Same thing with a taildragger. Only now you have to unlean years of bad habits before you can learn new techniques. No big deal, besides, who among us can't use some additional training?

I'm not saying you are a bad pilot, don't take me wrong. I flew with Angelo for some of that 15 hours and he was fundamentally a good pilot but like most high time jet pilots, he would start his flair at 50'. That presented its own set of problems. Once past that he was fine. Two things I liked about Angelo, every turn was coordinated and he always landed on the centerline.

Bill R., You are correct. It did indeed take 10-15 hrs to solo and create a "second nature" skillset and level of comfort that was acceptable for solo flight. I love to learn so I am fully willing to put in as much time as necessary to become a proficient tailwheel pilot. I have zero time in a tailwheel at present and about 350 hrs TT in C-172, 172RG, Beech Duchess. I put safety first and value knowledge from instructors and from this forum. I really feel like I can do this. My point for posting this thread was/is to decide if the -14 would "eat me for lunch" so to speak, or if I could safely transition (after the appropriate training) and build and fly this beautiful experimental. I took a test flight in the RV-7A at Airventure a couple of years ago and liked the handling characteristics. I really appreciate your comments and insight here. Thanks!

Back