What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Pitot Installation

77bonanza

Does anyone have photos of the installation and routing of the electrical and tubes for the Garmin AOA and Pitot tube from the Pitot tube to the wing root. Did you drill extra holes and use snap bushings to route the tubes to the wing root?

Thanks.

Does anyone have photos of the installation and routing of the electrical and tubes for the Garmin AOA and Pitot tube from the Pitot tube to the wing root. Did you drill extra holes and use snap bushings to route the tubes to the wing root?

Thanks.

See blog page starting here and "older posts": https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2018/02/february-10-2018-update-completed-pitot.html

Used snap bushings with existing tooling/wire routing holes as I recall - one set of holes fits a snap bushing size that has perfect ID for the 1/4" plastic tubing (I have QB wings and some of the bushings were already in place). I added a PEX conduit to my wing which I used to route the pitot heat wiring. FYI pin 4 on one of the 2 molexes is reserved for pitot heat power - I am still running a separate ground and "sense" wire (sends data to G3x). I used 14Ga wiring for the hot/ground. Many people use shielded wire for the pitot heat. (I did not and hope I won't come to regret that decision!). If you use the standard fuselage harness it will have an adequately sized wire going to pin 4 for power.

Last edited:
Here's a photo of the holes I drilled to run the pitot/AoA tubing and the wiring for the Garmin pitot tube.

The tubing/wire runs through the front of the ribs. I used a long drill bit to drill through the wing walk ribs. My photo says run to the 8th rib but that's just where my pitot is. Obviously run yours to wherever your pitot is located.

If your pitot is located outboard of the aileron bellcrank, you'll need to finesse these lines past it. My pitot was located just before the bellcrank to avoid this interference.

rib.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate the photos and direction. I will be able to finish my pitot install.

Have a great holiday season!

Back