What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PCU 5000X prop governor & IO-390

Tmartin66

All,

I will be ordering my FWF kit soon. Has anyone used the PCU 5000X prop governor on the IO-390? Any problems mounting this governor? Any problems with the stock bracket and the prop control in the FWF kit.? Any information would be very helpful. Also will be using the Hartzel blended aluminum prop from Vans.

Thank you,

works great...

The PCU 5000 can run from the back or front of the case and needs to be geared correctly for the choice... also, the direction of rotation can be CW or CCW. It can be changed from one to the other but you will have to send it back.

I suspect that the 14 has the routing worked out so you just need to order the right rotation and mount location.

Rather than starting a new thread, I'll just resurrect this one...

It's time to order the prop governor for my RV-14 build. I'm going to take advantage of the advertiser special that was listed on the Front Page of VAF a few days ago - 15% off the price of the PCU5000X!

I need some specs, and the guys at Aero Tech can't answer for me. I'm putting the standard IO-390 with the Hartzell 74" prop on my plane. So...

1) Gov drive ratio - I'm assuming 947:1 based on Lyc IO-390 wide deck fwd mount.

2) Control lever rotation - clockwise or counterclockwise???

3) Oil Pressure to Increase Pitch or Decrease Pitch???

4) Take off RPM ???

If you've got similar setup, what were the specs on your governor?

Rather than starting a new thread, I'll just resurrect this one...

It's time to order the prop governor for my RV-14 build. I'm going to take advantage of the advertiser special that was listed on the Front Page of VAF a few days ago - 15% off the price of the PCU5000X!

I need some specs, and the guys at Aero Tech can't answer for me. I'm putting the standard IO-390 with the Hartzell 74" prop on my plane. So...

1) Gov drive ratio - I'm assuming 947:1 based on Lyc IO-390 wide deck fwd mount.

2) Control lever rotation - clockwise or counterclockwise???

3) Oil Pressure to Increase Pitch or Decrease Pitch???

4) Take off RPM ???

If you've got similar setup, what were the specs on your governor?

Can the sales rep look up the specs from a previous customer?

I have the PCU5000X on my RV14 with an IO-390 and the Hartzell blended airfoil prop. I’m not home to look up the info but I will PM you my name and address for him to see which one I purchased. I will say it was very difficult to order because they sent a spec sheet that was impossible for me to understand and a few of them really did not understand it either. Also, I had to replace the pitch stop screw because the one that came on the unit did not work with the -14 cable system. If you purchase it I can send pictures of the linkage. If I had it to do over again I would just purchase the one Vans sells and it would fit straight away.

I ordered the Hartzell governor, Hartzell prop - easy way to go IMHO. Both fit the standard kit/engine well, no muss no fuss...

Can the sales rep look up the specs from a previous customer?

I have the PCU5000X on my RV14 with an IO-390 and the Hartzell blended airfoil prop. I?m not home to look up the info but I will PM you my name and address for him to see which one I purchased. I will say it was very difficult to order because they sent a spec sheet that was impossible for me to understand and a few of them really did not understand it either. Also, I had to replace the pitch stop screw because the one that came on the unit did not work with the -14 cable system. If you purchase it I can send pictures of the linkage. If I had it to do over again I would just purchase the one Vans sells and it would fit straight away.

Marvin,
What is the lowest RPM your governor operates at the coarsest setting. I have the Hartzell governor and not very happy as it goes down to 1700 RPM when it is pulled all the way. Hartzell tech has confirmed that this is normal for this model governor.

This is being corrected to prevent others mistakes
.895:1
Counter clockwise for the RV-14
Oil pressure to increase pitch
2700 takeoff rpm

At least that’s how mine will be spec’d

Last edited:
Anyone got the specs worked out for the IO-540 C4B5? I'd like to get in on this and it's time to move on it.

C2YR-1BFP/F8068D

url=https://imgur.com/je9ZKlN]
je9ZKlNh.jpg
[/url]

And by the way, Brad - I'll take a couple of those 6-cylinder P-mags any day now, pal;)

Page 9 of the operators manual says .866:1
2700 takeoff rpm

At least that?s how mine will be spec?d

I believe the 0.866:1 is for a rear mounted governor. I think the front governor is 0.895:1. At least that is my understanding from Lycoming and Hartzell for my composite prop using an S-1-79 governor.

double check this...

Page 9 of the operators manual says .866:1
2700 takeoff rpm

At least that’s how mine will be spec’d

You might want to double check this to be sure... the drive ratio depends on where it is mounted on the case and the rotation of the arm and RPM change is routing and description dependent.

Mine is forward mounted with the control arm over the top of the cylinders... push for high rpm (cw from HRRPM to LRPM)
947:1
Pressure to increase
2700 rpm take off

Last edited:
PCU5000X

Marvin,
What is the lowest RPM your governor operates at the coarsest setting. I have the Hartzell governor and not very happy as it goes down to 1700 RPM when it is pulled all the way. Hartzell tech has confirmed that this is normal for this model governor.

If I understand your question you are referring to the prop governor cycle check during engine runup. I set power to about 1800RPM then cycle the governor to look for movement. I don?t really let it drop much. I just look for movement. Are you looking for it to drop below 1700? I suspect it does. If so, I will check in the morning and PM the results.

If I understand your question you are referring to the prop governor cycle check during engine runup. I set power to about 1800RPM then cycle the governor to look for movement. I don?t really let it drop much. I just look for movement. Are you looking for it to drop below 1700? I suspect it does. If so, I will check in the morning and PM the results.

Hi Marvin,
Thank you for checking and yes, I am wondering how far it can drop. Perhaps you can pull your prop in the air at cruise speed while closed manifold.

One of my emergency procedure for engine out is to pull the prop to reduce drag. The coarser one can make the prop, the less drag. With my MT governor on my IO360, I would get about 1400 RPM when it was pulled all the way but I only get about 1700 with the Harzell governor with the RV14

I appreciate checking on this.

You might want to double check this to be sure... the drive ratio depends on where it is mounted on the case and the rotation of the arm and RPM change is routing and description dependent.

Mine is forward mounted with the control arm over the top of the cylinders... push for high rpm (cw from HRRPM to LRPM)
947:1
Pressure to increase
2700 rpm take off

These are the same numbers that I've found from other resources. All I need now the the angle to mount the control lever, although the order form does give the option to adjust the angle in the field.

Update: Lycoming says the front mounted gov is act .895:1. They said the manual will be fixed.
11ioaag.jpg

Please let me know if Im still wrong but this is from the operators manual sent to me from Jeff Schams from Thunderbolt.

Last edited:
I think that is from the rear accessory case...

11ioaag.jpg

Please let me know if Im still wrong but this is from the operators manual sent to me from Jeff Schams from Thunderbolt.

that ratio looks like it is for mounting the governor from the rear accessory case rather than the front...

Mount angle

These are the same numbers that I've found from other resources. All I need now the the angle to mount the control lever, although the order form does give the option to adjust the angle in the field.

This is a PCU5000X mounted on a -14 with an IO-390. If you have all the data you need, your good to go. The mounting angle can be easily adjusted by you. I installed mine to match the Vans plans Figure 2 page 43-07 Revision 0. To do so you will need to purchase six (6) AN503-8-10 screws. This allows you to rotate the body to match the Vans supplied mounting bracket FF-00009A. You may be able to convince them to use the AN screws. That governor also has metric holes for sales in Europe, mine came with the metric screws and the metric holes will not align with the bracket.

Additionally, the cable stop set screw in the center of the picture will be too short you will need to replace it.

Additionally, you will need baffle material to make baffling you see at the bottom of the picture. You will also need to cut the foam block above the governor to fit. Do not cut it according to the plans. The plans are for the Hartzell unit.

Good luck, we’re all counting on you:)
307x0nl.jpg

Model: PCU5000X
P/N: P-520-029/A-947
2r2srkp.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Marvin,
Thank you for checking and yes, I am wondering how far it can drop. Perhaps you can pull your prop in the air at cruise speed while closed manifold.

One of my emergency procedure for engine out is to pull the prop to reduce drag. The coarser one can make the prop, the less drag. With my MT governor on my IO360, I would get about 1400 RPM when it was pulled all the way but I only get about 1700 with the Harzell governor with the RV14

I appreciate checking on this.

at 5000' engine idle 1100RPM
at 5000' engine off 900RPM

Marvin

Anyone got the specs worked out for the IO-540 C4B5? I'd like to get in on this and it's time to move on it.

C2YR-1BFP/F8068D

url=https://imgur.com/je9ZKlN]
je9ZKlNh.jpg
[/url]

And by the way, Brad - I'll take a couple of those 6-cylinder P-mags any day now, pal;)

My C1B5 (converted to C4B5) narrow deck engine had an .866 ratio set up. I got an S-1-26, which is set up at the factory for 2575 max RPM. It is adjustable by moving a pin inside the unit and will modify it to run at 2700 max RPM.

Larry

Ok, I emailed for clarification to Jeff at Thunderbolt and heres his response

?Those numbers may have been out before the 390 was completed.

I double checked with our engineers and they said that the..

YIO-390-A3B6 which is front gov is .895
YIO-390-A3A6 which is rear gov is .866

We are working to update our manuals to reflect that information.?

Back