What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One cylinder temp high

Ronj41

I'm New Here
I have been flying my 9 now for 10 years, I recently had a new Catto prop built for the airplane. The prop is doing everything they said it would but now that I have full range on my power settings my number 3 cylinder is fine up to 2350rpms. The engine is an 0235C1 and will turn 1800rpms easily. At 2350 I am running 385 degrees cylinder temp at 2550 it goes up to 405 degrees and at 2600 where I want it in cruse it goes to 420 degrees. 1-2&4 all run at 387. I have made several adjustments to my baffling and have brought it down some. Any ideas as to what else I should look at to cool off number 3 a little better.

Many, many threads discussing the #3 issue. Do a search and you will have several hours of reading.

I have been flying my 9 now for 10 years, I recently had a new Catto prop built for the airplane. The prop is doing everything they said it would but now that I have full range on my power settings my number 3 cylinder is fine up to 2350rpms. The engine is an 0235C1 and will turn 1800rpms easily. At 2350 I am running 385 degrees cylinder temp at 2550 it goes up to 405 degrees and at 2600 where I want it in cruse it goes to 420 degrees. 1-2&4 all run at 387. I have made several adjustments to my baffling and have brought it down some. Any ideas as to what else I should look at to cool off number 3 a little better.

Are you running ROP or LOP in these examples? If ROP, are you full rich or leaned to a certain point? I agree with Michael that there are some tricks to help with #3, however, I didn't see deltas in the 35* range before doing them. Also, all of your CHTs seem high for a 235. You might do some research on generally improving your baffling. In my 320, I run CHTs well under 350 in the summer when running at 2750 and peak EGT and that is with advanced timing. They go lower when LOP.

Larry

Last edited:
Back