What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2020 Compliant ADSB - starting with an IPad Mini 4

lndwarrior

Well Known Member
I have no transponder nor waas gps. The
only current "electronics" I have is an IPad Mini 4.

I would appreciate any guidance on the cheapest way to get 2020 adsb in and out compliant system.

Accent on "cheapest", please.

TIA,
Gary

If a transponder is not required where you fly or, for some reason, your aircraft is exempt from transponder requirement, then ADSB is also not required. IOW, requirement for ADSB out will be the same as requirement for transponder.

Since you are starting with nada, this might be the cheapest solution'

Flyguysr5 ad in classifieds today.

If you are adept at electronics, you could ad a mode C transponder and
encoder (there is a Becker on eBay for $250 with encoder right now)
and add the Garmin GDL-82. Parts then would be just over $2K.

BH

I've got a King KT76A with encoder and harness from my RV-9A, and I'll match the $250 -- except I'm including the encoder and shipping. PM me.

Ed

I ran all the numbers a few months ago with my -6. I had a very old narco at50a. I figured a used gtx 327 for $500 and a uavoinx system for $1500 for a total of $2000. Keeping the old narco was not an option. I looked at the status apperro for $2800 and the garmin gtx 335 for $3000. I already had an ifly 740 gps with the stratus receiver for adsb in. I went with the garmin gtx 335 only because i ordered the matching gtr200 radio to do a complete repanel of my plane. I wantd to keep the adsb in and out seperate because garmin protocols will normally only talk to other garmin products to display adsb in info. I love the ifly 740 and did not want to change to a garmin device to display adsb info. This way as adsb receivers and technology changes, i can upgrade without changing the entire txp.

I have no transponder nor waas gps. The
only current "electronics" I have is an IPad Mini 4.

I would appreciate any guidance on the cheapest way to get 2020 adsb in and out compliant system.

Accent on "cheapest", please.

TIA,
Gary

Gary,

What flying app do you use on your iPad? Garmin Pilot, ForeFlight or something else? The app will dictate what is the most cost effective solution, as the Garmin Pilot works only with Garmin ADS-B In/Out products, while ForeFlight and others will work with the uAvionix solution.

Used Garmin GTX 327. $400.00 off EBay

Grand Rapids Technologies Safefly GPS/uavionix Echo UAT combo. $1500

Display Ads-b in on the mini and you?re set for under $2000, if as Mike said you aren?t running Garminpilot on the iPad. Easy to switch to ForeFlight or the Ifly apps tho.

Gary,

What flying app do you use on your iPad? Garmin Pilot, ForeFlight or something else? The app will dictate what is the most cost effective solution, as the Garmin Pilot works only with Garmin ADS-B In/Out products, while ForeFlight and others will work with the uAvionix solution.

Hi Mike. I use the Garmin Pilot app on my IPAD. Garmin GDL 39 for adsb (In) blue toothed to the IPAD. Echo/Skyfix for ADSB (Out). Works like a champ.
I personally prefer the Pilot app over Foreflight.

Back